Chapter 1

Tessa

Shit, shit, shit. Sweat beads on my forehead as I rush towards the lecture hall, guess starting the semester out strong is out of the picture. I try and slip into the lecture quietly, gently easing the door open, but to no avail. It slams. Wonderful. And cue the heads turning as I duck down and make my way towards one of the open seats in the back. As I'm putting my stuff down, the guy in the seat next to me looks over, smirking slightly, before returning his attention to the front. Finally settling in, I attempt to shake off the embarrassment and do my best to pay attention to the class. About midway through the class, my mind starts to wander and I glance around, attempting to find someone else who is just as bored as I am. As luck would have it, the guy next to me has completely clocked out and is currently drawing something that looks like it might be from Dungeons and Dragons but honestly, I have no fucking clue. Leaning over, careful not to get caught by the notoriously eagle-eyed professor, I attempt to get a closer look.

"Nice drawing," I whisper, concealing a chuckle as he jumps slightly. "What is it?"

Quickly recovering, he explains, "It's concept art for this D&D campaign I'm a part of."

He paused for a beat before continuing, "...it's honestly not even that good."

"Oh, I've got a friend that's into it and I've just recently started getting into myself because of this stream she had me watch called 'Adventures and Initiative.'"

"Seriously? I'm part of that campaign! I voice Valemin, a high elf," his face lights up as he starts excitedly explaining his role. As he starts rambling slightly, I attempt to calm him down as his voice began to rise in volume, but the sudden clearing of a throat causes us both to freeze. Looking towards the front of the hall, we see our professor patiently waiting for us to finish before returning to his who-knows-how-many-decades-old lecture. Once all the heads have turned back to their rightful places, he turns back to me with a sheepish smile, a slight blush coating his cheeks, whispering a promise to continue the conversation later when there's less of a chance of us being caught again. I quickly scribble something down on a spare scrap of paper before passing it over.

"I'm Tessa," I scrawl, sliding the paper to him, reminiscent of passing notes in middle school.

"Noah," he writes before passing it back to me.

Noah, I like it. Pretending to pay attention, I notice him stealing glances at me, only to look away when I do the same. With the lecture finally coming to a close, we stand up to leave, me turning to him only to come in contact with his chest. How am I this short? How fucking tall is he?!

"I'm 6'0"," the corner of his mouth quirks up slightly as he responds, seemingly amused.

Confusion dawns for a moment before embarrassment quickly follows, I must've said that aloud. Mustering a soft "oh...", I look down in an attempt to avoid his gaze. Clearing my throat slightly, I continue, "Anyway, don't we have a conversation to finish?"

"Yeah, we do," he says through a slight laugh at my obvious attempt to change the subject, motioning for me to lead the way.

Walking around the campus green and enjoying the cool weather, we pick up where we left off, "So, what other games are you into?"

"I enjoy Minecraft and League, but lately I've been playing some Overwatch. Granted, I hate first-person shooters. What about you?"

"Honestly, I really only watch playthroughs, but I play some Minecraft. I mostly play card games, though."

"Awe, are they too scary for you?" He banters lightly, clearly looking for a challenge.

"No!" I say without hesitation, defiance edging its way into my voice, arms crossed over my chest. A laugh erupts out of him, further encouraging my behaviour.

I cock an eyebrow and look up at him, "I'm not trying to be funny, Sir."

"And what exactly are you gonna do about it?" He challenges, matching my stance and tone.

I stop, turning to him with a devilish glint in my eye, "What I do to all the other smart-mouthed boys-"

He looks at me, confusion plain on his face, "And that would be what exactly?"

I get on my toes, placing a hand on his chest to balance myself. "-ruin them," I whisper in his ear before turning to walk away. "Bye, Noah. I'll see you in class on Wednesday." I wave leaving him slightly stunned.