Chapter 3

Classes just started, but the workload is already hitting me like a bus. Now that I think about it, it'd probably be more enjoyable if it was a bus. Ugh, I should've gotten a head start at the beginning of the semester, but it's definitely too late now. At least I'm going to English now since I have some form of external motivation.

"Look at you actually on time," Noah teases as he comes into class, taking the seat next to me.

Pushing him slightly, I throw him a teasing "Shut up!".

"Make. Me." He says, sticking his tongue out.

"Trust me, I'll-" I begin, getting cut off.

"Good Morning all, today we'll be starting our first project of the semester," our professor begins, effectively silencing the class as he drones on about the details of the project before allowing us to split into groups of three.

Looking around for a minute, Noah and I are quickly approached by a bubbly brunette, "Hey, I'm Liz! Do y'all need a third person?"

Noah, smiling, responds, "Yeah, we do," a slightly playful tone coating his voice.

"Great! Why don't we exchange numbers, so we can talk about it outside of class?" She suggests, eyeing Noah.

"Sure," I answer, not even bothering to hide my clipped tone despite the polite smile on my face.

She turns to me briefly with an equally forced smile before turning back to Noah and handing him her phone, "Here, why don't you go ahead and put your number in, makes things easier." Exchanging numbers, we make plans to meet on campus the next day to try and get ahead on the project.

For the remainder of class, the three of us start building a foundation for the project as she relentlessly and quite obviously flirts with Noah. Staying quiet, I only add input on the project when needed, not bothering to interfere with her charade. As class comes to an end and we gather our things, Liz says her goodbyes before running to her next class.

"You've been weirdly quiet today," Noah states, clearly concerned as we walk out of class.

"No, I really haven't," I lie through my teeth, picking up my pace and continuing to walk.

"Tessa, stop," he says with a note of finality, stopping in his tracks and crossing his arms, leaving no room for argument.

"What?" I snap slightly, turning around to face him, clearly not wanting to have this conversation.

"What's wrong? Something was clearly off with you today, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out."

"Listen, it's stupid and doesn't really matter," I sigh, trying my best to avoid telling him the reason.

"I'm not going anywhere until you tell me, even if it's 'something stupid'," he says, attempting to reason with me.

He's persistent, I'll give him that. Still not gonna give in though. " Fine, I was frustrated with the project. Satisfied?"

"Not really, but I'm guessing you're not gonna tell me," he sighs, clearly getting frustrated with the fact that he's getting nowhere.

"I really am fine, just a bit frustrated. I didn't have my coffee this morning so I'm a little out of it." I lie, attempting to end the conversation for good before I do cave and tell him.

"Okay, if that's all that it is" he gives in, dropping the topic.

"That's all it is, I promise. I'll see you tomorrow. Hopefully, I won't forget coffee again," I respond, waving goodbye and giving him a slight smile of reassurance as I turn and head back towards my apartment.

Entering the apartment, Mikayla immediately notices something is off. Damn her ability to read people so well. "And what's wrong with you?" She asks from the living room floor, turning her attention away from her latest painting.

"I can't do questions right now. I just really need to smoke," I hold my hand out, stopping her inevitable line of questioning before collapsing on the couch.

Shock takes over her face for a moment, clearly surprised at my request, before heading to her room and returning with a baggie. Sitting cross-legged on the couch beside me, she pulls a zippo out of her pocket before lighting the joint, taking a drag and passing it to me.

Doing the same, I eventually begin to open up about what's been bothering me, trying not to leave anything out.

"Wait, dude, you completely missed a chance," she exclaims, sitting up from hanging upside down.

Not following, I just stare at her, taking another drag as she passes it to me, waiting for her to explain.

"Okay, see this is how it should've gone. You act all aloof and brooding like you always do before giving in to him and letting him know that the flirting bothered you and you get closer with him! Ta-da, happy ending and, uh, happy ending," she winks, breaking out into rib-splitting giggles before nearly falling off of the couch.

The antics continue until we're both relaxed and giggly, roach discarded into the ashtray, Mikayla sprawled completely on the floor and me hanging halfway off the couch barely watching 'That 70's Show' reruns. This helped more than I'd like to admit, but I still don't think I'm gonna make a habit out of it as she does. Mumbling a quiet "good night," I head to my room and crash.