Chapter 4

The next morning, I shower and get ready for my day before heading to the kitchen for coffee. Glancing over, I notice that Mikayla isn't crashed out in the middle of the floor anymore so she must've made it to bed at some point. As I go to grab my mug from the cabinet, I notice a sticky-note on it. Peeling it off, I see Mikayla's handwriting, 'Had to head to the studio, should be back around 2. Go get that D ;)' Shaking my head and scoffing a bit, I toss the note in the trash, fix my coffee and make sure Mikayla's dog had been fed before heading to the library.

When I get there, I pull out my phone and shoot Noah a text, letting him know I'm there and where exactly I am. I eventually find an empty table, but before I put my stuff down I hear someone call my name.

"Tessa, over here!" Liz yells while waving, startling me, I head over while looking around for Noah.

"Hey," I smile politely, taking a sip of my coffee.

She ignores the uninterested tone and continues to make conversation, "So what's your major? I don't think I've ever seen you around campus, funny how many students there are, you just get lost in the shuffle sometimes!"

Taken slightly aback by the cheery tone of her voice and expert-level rambling, I decide to humour her, "Mathematics, I've always been pretty good at it. Yours?"

"Nursing! I really wanna work with old people, they're just so cute!" We continue with the somewhat forced small talk until Liz spots Noah, waving him over excitedly and making puppy dog eyes.

"Hey guys, hope you didn't get too much done without me," he greets, getting his stuff set up and pulling up a blank word document.

Liz immediately jumps in, fawning over him and beginning to lean towards him, "Of course we wouldn't start without you, silly. You're super important to the project!"

Backing up a bit, he flushes slightly before answering, "Thanks... I think."

Biting back a laugh, I hide my face in my mug before suggesting that we actually get to work so we don't get behind. After assigning roles for research, we continue working before Liz states that she's got to get to her next class. After she leaves, Noah and I stay and talk for a bit, and I decide it's as good a time as any to come clean about yesterday. "Hey, I'm only bringing this up now because you seemed equally as uncomfortable with Liz's flirting, but the reason I was so quiet yesterday was that her very, very obvious flirting was kind of annoying me."

"Wait really? I didn't even notice it at first, I thought she was just trying to be nice! But why would that bother you?"

Ugh, I really don't want to answer this. "It was just so obvious that she thought you were attractive, she wasn't even being subtle!"

He chokes back a laugh before continuing, "yeah, because you pull off subtle so well."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"You think I don't notice the flirting? You may not be as obvious as Liz, but I'm also not completely oblivious. Did you just forget about the whole 'ruin them' thing? There's no way you can convince me that that was completely platonic," he scoffs the last part before leaning back, looking proud of himself.

Momentarily struggling to form a sentence, I finally manage to reply, "I- I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm great at being subtle."

"Sure you are," he laughs, "And I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it, hell it was a whole lot better than whatever Liz was trying to accomplish back there."

"Okay, since you enjoyed it so much, how about we grab some lunch and hang out for a bit?"

Agreeing, he suggests we grab Subway before heading back to my apartment to chill. Making small talk along the way, we eventually get back to my apartment. Slipping my key into the lock, I push open the door, immediately noticing Mikayla in the kitchen, jamming out as she makes something for lunch.

Clearing my throat, I manage to get her attention, "Well, you're home early."

Looking up, she's a bit startled by the sudden intrusion but quickly recovers, laughing a bit, "Oh hey guys! What's up? Want a snack?"

Holding up the subway bag as an answer, I introduce Noah, "So, this is my roommate, Mikayla. Mikayla, this is Noah."

Straightening a bit, she turns, "Oh! Noah, hey, nice to meet you! Well, I've got a painting to work on so I'll see y'all later." She gives me a pointed glare, trying to communicate that I should've told her I was on my way so she wouldn't be a cockblock, before excusing herself to her room, taking Sirius with her but leaving the painting where it was the night before.

Turning to me, looking at the painting, and then turning back, he chuckles a bit, "I think she forgot something. Should we give it to her or just let her realise it on her own?"

Sighing and setting my food down, I walk over and grab the painting and supplies before knocking on her door. Slowly opening it, she peeks her head out.

"I think you forgot something."

Muttering thanks and turning pink, she takes it and promptly shuts her door again, trying to give privacy without actually leaving. Soon after, I faintly hear one of her playlists coming through the wall, alternating between Hozier and Ritt Momney among others.

Finally settling in and actually eating, we make small talk before eventually landing on a game of 21 questions.

"Okay, you start.".

I think for a second before coming up with something, "What's a talent you have that not many people know about?"

"Well, I can tie a cherry stem in a knot with my tongue. But I've made a few videos about it, so it's not exactly a secret."

"Wait, really? Give me a sec," I run over to the fridge, checking for cherries since I know Mikayla can do it as well, but no luck. "Damn it, I wanted a demonstration but I guess I'm out of luck."

"Maybe next time," he suggests, shooting me a wink. "I guess it's my turn to ask you something. Let's see, what's the stupidest thing you've done on a dare?"

"I got hammered at a party and was dared to run around the house topless before jumping in the pool. Which I did."

A humoured expression passes across his face before he responds, "I bet that was a sight to see."

"Definitely, I'm just glad no one took pictures. At least, I hope they didn't."

Through the wall, I hear Mikayla butt in with a muffled, "They did! You just haven't seen them," before cranking her music back up.

He laughs as I bury my face in my hands before encouraging me to continue with another question. Continuing the game, laughing and trading stories as we do so, he realises what time it is. "Damn, I'm sorry but I've got to get to work. I really had fun though, we should hang out some more."

"Yeah, definitely! I guess I'll see you tomorrow in English," I respond, halfway walking him to the door, waiting on him to leave before I run to Mikayla's room, eager to fill her in.