32 | The First Day

☆☆☆ Chapter 32 ☆☆☆

The First Day

"Are you girls ready for The Poconos Getaway?" Fiona soundfully sang out after sliding on a pair of designer sunglasses that matched with her maroon purse.

To me, she looked more than ready for a professional photoshoot, not a hotel, but her style is her style I guess. A manservant followed right behind her, carrying "seven days' worth of clothing," but in a far-too-large and obviously heavy travel bag for it to really be just for seven days.

"I know we are," I replied, holding onto my old high school bag. Teresa stood beside me, her thick and soft dark hair from Dad's side stuffed into two large buns, with her trendy bookbag from her med school days strapped over her shoulder. Just a few normal things were stuffed in our bags, not anything extra like what Fiona definitely had.

Our attention turned to Hilery, who groaned and sighed in response to her mother. Her nose was a little runny so she kept constantly sniffling, but aside from that she seemed alright. She had her hair in a high ponytail and wore the same dress she'd worn when I first met her, with orange sparkly flats this time. She had her own bag strapped to her back, shaped like the face of a friendly grizzly bear. Once Fiona walked past her and out the door, Hilery followed behind with the same pace of the struggling manservant.

Yes, we were all ready to go, so I walked my way out with Teresa, but every step I took made me feel a little more empty on the inside. It'll be an entire week without Daniel. Can I really survive? I've been with him every day of my life, basically, for far more than half a year now.

It's only seven days without him, but it still sounds like a whole lot to me. Just a few days back after dinner I couldn't stand the thought of Daniel sleeping without me, and made him come into my room. I have made him sleep in my room ever since then, which helped our clearly useless faked marriage. Of course, he was more than happy to do that, but if I'm already missing him when he's just several rooms away from me, then what would I be going through when he's an hour away from me? Every single time I wanted him and his adorable self he has always been around, sometimes so often that it would get annoying, but now he won't be there for me, at all. A week without him sounds horrible, I'll be lonely. Is it that I'm too needy or somethin'?

Teresa tried to bring me back into orbit by tellin' me I was moving slower than a sloth (along with some other quick roasts), but she was interrupted when a hand suddenly squeezed my shoulder.

"Why are you moping on your way to a week's worth of paradise?"

When I turned, there he was── my knight in shining armor, my Daniel. See? There he was, by my side, just when I thought 'bout him! Goddammit, I'm really gonna miss this runt!

I kicked some non-existent stone on the floor. "It's gonna be a week without you, dummy." I felt Teresa immediately cringe behind me from what I said.

Daniel rubbed my cheek with his knuckles. "It's only a week, it'll fly by."

"A week is an eternity without you."

Once again I felt Teresa cringe, but this time it was followed by three fake coughs. It didn't matter how uncomfortable Teresa currently was though, 'cuz right now the only person in the world that mattered to me was Daniel, who felt so moved by what I said that he brought me into his arms for a quick, loving squeeze.

Once he let go, he pecked me on the tip of my nose, chuckling afterwards. "If it consoles you in any way, I'll never be more than a few feet away from you at any given moment. I'll always be with you, anywhere, no matter what, watching you from either the front or the back." Teresa choked on air, and this time even I had to take a step back. "Though now that you're aware of what I do, I'll have to be more careful from now on so that you don't catch me."