And They Were Roommates [M] - the summer camp love story!

-Oh, my God, they were roommates

🎶 It's a little ditty 'bout Jack and Alex, two American kids growin' up and goin' to summer camp. 🎶

circa 1980s

Mature, but not quite explicit.  There's sexual intimacy but it's not graphically described.

TW for mentions of death and dying, terminal illness

The moment Laurens set his bags down on the bed, he knew he was going to hate the rest of his summer. Bags on the other bed was Hamilton: the overly opinionated, cheery kid with too much to say and too little of a will to ever cease to glow like a peachy angel from heaven. He was attractive and charismatic and Laurens hated it.

To be fair, Laurens didn't know him too well—but he hated him.

They'd known each other for years, since freshman year, and now it was just after their senior year of high school—and Laurens felt no empathy for Hamilton. To him this kid was, and always had been, a robot. He was a sociopath who put on a smile and charmed everyone he met, and Laurens decided long ago he would not be one of them. He wouldn't be put under a spell like the rest of the student body.  Fucking valedictorian.  Fucking committed to the same ivy league he was.  What the fuck.

Hamilton didn't hate him. He smiled when he saw him. He was glad to be bunked with somebody interesting and attractive during their stay. He knew it was a camp some students already worked at and had attended themselves when they were younger—Laurens included. Hamilton figured that, well, he was going to be forced to enjoy this one way or another and if he had to stay with somebody, he didn't mind Laurens at all.

Underclassmen and middle school students shared larger cabins six to eight, while the counselors, of which there were few, shared much tinier cabins, doubling up at most, so Hamilton was dreading the selection. If he got stuck with somebody he didn't get along with, it wouldn't have been an option to attach himself to anyone else. Luckily, even though he was not close with Laurens, there were worse teens attending with whom he'd hate to spend five weeks cramped in this space. He didn't trust others not to rifle through his belongings, not to keep him awake at annoying hours, or to even keep their space clean. He assumed Laurens, however, was neither thief nor unclean pest. Plus, he'd always liked Laurens, something about him, so attractive and good even in that silly preppy getup of his: those white high-waisted shorts, that pink button-up with the top four buttons popped, those matching socks that went halfway up his calves and the white trainers - he was such a nepo baby.  Hamilton hated guys like him, usually, but with Laurens, he drooled over it.

Unluckily, however, Laurens wasn't in a great mood to begin with. He wasn't looking forward to camping this summer. His mom was in the hospital right now and he couldn't visit her every day like he wanted to, even if he was allowed to
leave camp on his off-days.  He didn't really want to use the communal phone, either, to talk to her about her rapidly deteriorating health, the cells multiplying in her lungs that hardly seemed to slow down even with the chemo. Nothing helped, no amount of money, chemotherapy, health foods, or homeopathic remedies could. At this point, she wasn't living with cancer, she was simply not yet dead from it.

He wanted to be with her.

"Hi there, pretty boy. Looks like we'll be spending a lot of time together."

Laurens forced a smile, made a short hum.

A dark part of him did want to be away from his mother. It hurt him to see her. But this only made him feel guiltier, that he could be such a horrible son to such a wonderful woman.