Chapter Two

(Photo does not belong to me. Introducing Claire's point of view!)

Claire POV

I'm sitting in my room wearing my usual jeans and hoodie with my hood down, sketching in my art book. It's my way of expressing myself since I prefer not to use words. I'm not mute, it's more like selective mutism, I only talk to people I'm close with or when I feel it's important. Jenny says my art is really good and I should enter it in an art competition, but I think she just says it to make me feel better. Plus, I'm too shy to enter a competition.

Anyway, I'm sketching a skull with roses winding through the crevices and openings. Beauty through death. As I'm drawing, Jenny bursts into my room in the apartment the share. She has a grin so wide it goes from ear to ear.

"Happy Birthday!!!" She screams.

I cover my ears as I reach to put my hood up. It doesn't bother me that she sees my without it as much as it used to, it's just a comfort thing.

"Is that today?" I ask surprised. I check the calendar on my phone and find she's right.

Jenny looks at me and sighs. "Claire, you can't keep locking yourself in here forever. You should go out and have fun. You're 18 for gods sake."

"You know why I'm like this."

"I know, but you should try to move on." Suddenly an evil smirk grew on her face. "Which is why, for your birthday, my gift to you is something a little different from normal."

"What?" I ask nervously.

"Here," she says, "see for yourself." She hands me an envelope.

I cautiously take the envelope and open it. The word CONGRATULATIONS is written at the top of the paper. It says, "Congratulations, your audition has been excepted and we would love to have you on our show. Please report to your local dock with you suitcase at 9:30 am, June XX. Thank you and we look forward to meeting you."

"What's going on? What audition?" I ask frantically.

Jenny looks nervous for a second, then says, "I may have gone behind your back and made an audition tape for you for the new reality show they're about to start filming..."

My eyes widen and my breathing quickens as I realize what's happening. I have to go somewhere unknown. I'm going to be on tv.

"No," I say, "I can't do it, I won't." I start having an anxiety attack. My vision starts to blur.

"Claire! Claire, just breath! In and out. In and out."

I try and slow down my breathing and my vision starts to clear. What am I going to do? I can't be on tv.

"Oh honey," Jenny starts, "I know this is going to be hard for you, but you can't stay like this. This isn't how your parents would have wanted to see you."

I freeze realizing she's right. I sigh. "You're right... I'll do it."