chapter 4

Silently, one by one,

in the infinite meadows of heaven,

Blossomed the lovely stars,

the forget-me-nots of the angels.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie

I woke up to a Saturday morning, a calm smile passing my lips at the thought. I had managed to pay rent yesterday, finally bought some groceries, and now, there’s really nothing much to worry about. I was actually looking forward to this day where I get to work at the cafe.

I could almost smell the sweet aroma of coffee along with the newly made breakfasts and baked pastries.

Now wouldn’t be such a hassle and I get to only work in the morning shift. As much as I love the cafe, working until nighttime can get really overwhelming and I’d sleep through the entire Sunday if it were to happen.

I pulled off the covers and did my morning routine of stretches before going into the kitchen to make myself and Kohan breakfast.

The only thing I despised the most is that I only have a day to wake up late and that’s a Sunday. I wake up the same time I always do whenever it’s a school day every Saturdays but life had been a bitch to me, so there’s that. Who am I to complain though?

After the whistle of the kettle, I poured the hot water on two mugs and mixed in powdered milk in both of them.

I checked on my little brother to see him still sleeping soundly on the mattress. I went over beside him and ran my hand through his matty hair, planting a gentle kiss on the top of his head.

I’d give anything to keep the little guy happy and safe, to obscure from him the sad reality that we’re living in...especially now since we lost both of our parents and have no one else but Nahemi-san and our distant Aunt. He’s too young to go through so much, and I’ll do whatever I can to be strong...

A knock on the door broke off my reverie. Confused, I quirked an eyebrow and decided to ignore it. It’s probably just my imagination. No one would be up at this early in the morning and...knock on doors...my door. The person probably only got lost on the way. Mkay that sounds like a pretty good reason.

Nah, though.

The knocking was relentless and I grew scared at this point. It’s 6 in the fuckin’ morning and Nahemi doesn’t wake up at this hour on a Saturday. I decided to give the person on the other side some slack.