chapter 5

I think that we are like stars

Something happens to burst us open;
but when we burst open
and think we are dying;
we’re actually turning into a supernova.
And then when we look at ourselves again, we see that we’re suddenly more beautiful than we ever were before!

-C. JoyBell C.

“Hey Senku...” I whispered to the boy next to me, letting the wind tousle our hair as we sat on the ground under the shade of a tree, watching as the clouds drifted by. Senku, who was resting by the trunk, cracked an eye open and looked at me.

“Isn’t it amazing?” I asked him, curling my fingers on the grass below me and giggled at how it tickled my palm.

“What?” the boy mumbled, watching the sky with me.

“Everything,” I breathed and let the blades of the grass fly along with the wind. “Everything is just so...pretty. I wish it could be like this all the time...”

Senku chuckled, breaking me out of my trance. “That would be impossible with the phenomena of the weather patterns and seasons shifting. Not everything stays the way they are, L/n.” I pouted.

Senku always had a way to slide in his logic in my fantasies, but I never really thought of it as a bad thing. “But they’re still there, aren’t they? And they just get prettier!”

“You’re not making any sense, L/n. But I suppose your notion isn’t completely wrong either.” the young boy shrugged and rose to stood beside me, hands on his hips. I looked up at him and see an emotion gleam in those crimson irises, making a wide smile form on my lips. “Things keep growing from nothing...that made Science! And I’m going to find about it!”

It took him by surprise when I grabbed both of his hands and looked deep into his eyes, an unbriddled emotion in my stomach. “Let’s watch the world grow together, then!”

3 weeks had passed, and came with it rainy days. Kohan and I would always go home soaked, and I, not wanting to risk my brother getting sick, stayed up all night looking through my phone on what I could do if it did happen to him. Anyone could say that I’ve gotten too far with the researching and the new phone, but I couldn’t sleep with the anxiety crawling on my chest.

My head was leaning against the window of the room, listening at the cacophony of raindrops outside as they landed on the window in a series of pitter-patters. My phone was in my hand as I scrolled through different websites. The apartment, thankfully, has an Internet connection. This saves me the problem of staying late at the school library or having to work at the cafe just so I could do my research on Heather's laptop. I looked at the time and let out a tired sigh: 1:46 AM.