Chapter Four

Becky's POV

I had to admit, the restaurant was enchanting. And I hadn't even set foot inside the door yet. They had a large veranda where couples sat on swings and Adirondack chairs, talking, laughing and sipping wine. Strings of lights twinkled like fireflies all around the eaves. Off to the side, there was a lush garden, and as I stepped closer to get a better look, Riad walked out from under the ivy-covered trellis.

"Becky," he said, warmly, coming towards me and taking my hand. He held it for a moment, and I had the strange thought that he was going to lift it to his lips. Instead, he simply squeezed it a little before letting go.

"That's a stunning dress, by the way."

"Hi," I said. "This, uh, this place is really nice."

"It's cute, isn't it?" That wasn't exactly the word I would have chosen for a place that cost this much, but I just nodded and smiled.

There was a table waiting for us inside, surrounded by glowing candles and plants that seemed to be growing out of the floor. On closer inspection, they proved to be thriving in planter boxes that were built in to be at the same level. In the center of the dining room, there was a massive tree trunk; the restaurant appeared to have been built around it.

"You look surprised," Riad said, smiling.

"I wasn't really expecting it to be like this," I said. "I don't know what I was expecting."

"I can't stand a stuffy restaurant," he said. "As far as I'm concerned, it's not 'nice' if you can't be comfortable while you're there."

We had a reservation for the tasting menu - of course - which was actually somewhat of a relief. At least I didn't have to try and choose the entrée that would make me stand out the least as someone who didn't belong there. But as time went on, I was plagued less and less with the feeling of sticking out like a sore thumb.

By the time the server cleared away our third set of plates, each with a tiny Angus rib eye fillet on a bed of roasted potatoes and red wine-marinated onions, I was talking and laughing like anything. I was just finishing up my second glass of wine, and I was beginning to feel the pleasant, heady buzz. Slowly but surely, I was becoming less aware of everyone in the room except for me and Riad.

"You didn't have to bring me here, you know," I heard myself blurting out in the middle of an unrelated conversation. Oh, God. Why on earth had I let those words slip out? That wasn't what I meant to say at all. But Riad just laughed.

He was beginning to feel it a little himself, I could tell; his eyes were brighter, the skin of his cheeks rosier, than I'd ever seen. Even in the low light, his transformation from businessman to just man was very noticeable.

"Yes I did," he replied, easily.

"No, I mean…" I leaned over the table, consciously lowering my voice a little. "We could have just said we went."

"Trust me," Riad countered, his face growing serious again. "In the circles I run, it's best to back up your claims with as many facts as possible. The staff here all knows the same people I do; they bring all their first dates here. By being seen here with you tonight, I'm establishing my backstory." He smiled, suddenly. "And having a pretty good time, wouldn't you agree?" I nodded, crashing back to earth with the sudden reminder of why we were really here.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I didn't mean to…bring that up right now. I just, I didn't want to get too carried away."

If he wondered what I meant by that, he didn't ask, thank God. I wasn't even sure what I meant by that. I hadn't intended to let on that I was already starting to lose perspective on our "relationship." I was sure the last thing he wanted was for me to actually fall for him. It would make everything so complicated. Why did my brain always have to do things like this? Why did it have to be so stupid?