Pluperfect (Part 2)

Seeing his blue eyes for the first time in almost 2 months made his heart skip a beat. As he stared into Cody's eyes, he saw they were noticeably red and bloodshot. Joel frowned.

"I see you finally decided to show up." The distaste was evident in his voice.

"You're glad I even came."

This caused Joel to sigh angrily

"Well, you should have just stayed at home because I'm leaving. I have been here for an hour and a half waiting for you and I want to go home now."

He turned to walk away from the conversation and back to his car, but he felt a tug on his jacket. Looking back, Cody had gripped onto it which prevented him from moving.

"You asked me to travel over here to see you, and now that I'm here you're leaving? What the hell was so important that isn't important now!" The wind whipping around them caused the cold to sting his face and eyes that were ready to burst.

He managed to jerk his jacket away from Cody's hold. It was getting later and colder and Joel just wanted this to be over. It was a bad idea to begin with and he never should have tried to get ahold of Cody. Giving him a long hard stare, he pushed a small picture into his hands and walked away to his car.

Once inside, Joel sighed in relief and began to cry over how awful that had just gone.

He watched Cody contemplate the picture and without even looking at it, he crumpled it up and stuck it in his pocket. Laying his head on the wheel his thoughts were swirling in his head. What if he didn't look at the picture, or what if he did look at the picture? Would he call him if he did look at it? He was distraught and stressed out.

On his way home he had a chance to decompress and destress, he had decided that if he did or he didn't, he told him in his own way, and it would be his fault if he wasn't involved. He felt movement in the area where his growing bump was. He took this as a sign that what he tried to do was good and whatever happened was out of his hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been a couple weeks since Cody had gone to see Joel. He couldn't really remember what went down that day but when he woke up from his hangover nap, he found a piece of paper in his pocket. He didn't know where it had come from and assumed it was some random girl's phone number.

However, when he pulled the crinkled paper out and unfolded it, it wasn't a number on a piece of notebook paper. It was a white and black photo that was hard to make out. It had a couple of numbers on it and Joel's name and such. It had two black and white dots in the middle and reminded Cody of an ultrasound.

Why would Joel give him an ultrasound of some random kid? Unless it was his?

No, they're both guys. They can't get pregnant like that; or could they? Now he was nervous.

What if by some odd chance Joel was pregnant with his kid. What would that mean? He wouldn't want to be that one dad that was never there or went for milk and was gone for 18 years. He needed to know now, and if he was, he needed to convince him to get rid of it. Cody knew that it was an awful thing to do, but he was just not ready for a kid right now. He dialed Joel's number and waited for him to pick up.

"Hello?" A hoarse voice answered.

The man on the other end sounded tired like he hadn't slept in days. Cody knew he was probably about to ruin his day right now.

"Joel, I need you to tell me here and now, I want the truth and only the truth." Cody breathed out in a single breath.

The tired hoarse voice from before seemed to perk up at the notice of who was on the other end of the call.

"What do you want? I'm really busy right now." Joel spat with a hostile edge to his voice. He knew that talking to Cody would probably rocket his blood pressure.

"Are-are you pregnant Joel?"

The other line of the phone got quiet. The background noises on Joel's end-stopped too. That was really all the answer that Cody needed. He groaned angrily as he rubbed his face in amazement.

"Fuck, this can't happen," he stated, "You can't have that kid, you have to get rid of it."

"Excuse me- "

"You heard me, Joel, get rid of it! I don't know how this even happened and I don't really care. We aren't ready to be parents, were touring constantly and-"Cody was interrupted.

"I don't remember asking you what you wanted to do. In fact, I don't even remember asking you to call me and start bossing me around. I did what I thought was right and told you about it. I didn't want your opinion and frankly, I don't care about it!"

"Joel, I- "

"No, shut the hell up Cody. You don't get to call me and tell me what to do with my body." Joel could see red as he yelled through the phone. He was surprised his neighbors couldn't hear him. He wasn't usually this on edge, maybe it was his stupid hormones kicking his ass.

"I swear to fucking God Joel if you don't do it I will literally fucking end you!" Cody yelled through the phone back. He was being disrespected and interrupted, he was done with it.

He would later realize he was being an ass but right now was not that moment.

Joel had angry tears gushing like a fountain. "If you come near me or my baby, I will make you fucking regret it!" and then the line went dead.

Cody, in his fit of anger, slammed his phone against his wall causing it to shatter. Didn't he know that Cody had a reputation to uphold? He could just see the headline now, "Set it off singer Cody Carson Is gay?! With Joel Faviere and guess who's pregnant?" The thought made him shiver internally.

He just had to make sure that Joel could keep his fucking mouth shut.