Stone Lake

Arctic currents carried crystals of frost that flew amongst the forest like miniature razors. Mercilessly, they pierced my fur and burned like droplets of scalding water.

Winter gripped on tightly to this land.

The trees were all dusted in a feathery layer of snow. The white powder too thin to mask their rich evergreen foliage, but contributed to their ornamental appearance. Their frozen branches glittered relentlessly in the heatless sunlight.

My heavy pants visualized before me as clouds of condensed moisture. Hardly noticing as I galloped right through them. Too absorbed in the chase I had before me.

My vision narrowed, the image of a white cotton tail and two oblong feet the only thing I saw.

The stretch and recoil of my muscles circling each other in rapid repetition. Reloading with a mind of their own.

Blood barreled through my veins like hydraulic pumps and fed an endless supply of oxygen for my body to burn. Firing up every nerve cell I had, making the chase even more exhilarating.

I clenched my canines together with anticipation. Knowing soon they'd crunch into the scurrying rabbit.

Saliva pooled onto my tongue at the mere thought of a fresh kill.

My legs now propelling my body forward through the heavy snow. Billows of powder erupting with each landing, sending sprinkles of ice in every direction.

The furry creature darted across the ground's white surface, flicking up small flurries in it's place.

I could now hear the pattering of the creature's heart. The noise resembling the starting trill of a diesel engine, but quieter.

In it's desperation, it veered to my left towards a downhill slope. Perhaps in hope that gravity and momentum would allow it to evade my pursuit.

However, it had the opposite effect.

With the added force, the rabbit's foot broke through the snow's hard cover and snagged. The trip causing it to somersault down the slope.

Every choice had it's outlook in this world.

Every mistake had it's cost.

Survival doesn't favour the mistaken.

Descending with one large leap, my prey taking all my focus. I hadn't expected the blow that bloomed in my side.

The unknown object threw me sideways, away from the recovered rabbit disappearing into the brush.

I landed bumpily into the soft snow, the powder concaving to form a hollow imprint of my body.

The wind was expelled bitterly from my lungs. An nauseating ache sprouted in my chest as I tried to breath steadily.

Within moments I was up and stood defensively, my posture rigid and fur prickled. Growling my warning to my attacker.

Distress and confusion dissipated as I discerned the wolf that stood playfully in front of me.

The distinct flaxen layered fur with a melanin lacking nose was unmistakably.

This wolf was Rachel, my oldest friend.

She was currently crouched, front legs splayed and tail thumping happily on my ground. Her jaw hung open and her breathing was hard and excited.

Instantly, I reeled back my aggressive display and replaced it with more relaxed behaviour. Dropping my tail and letting my legs loosen from their previously stiff position.