Empty Bottles

The rest of the day, I was avoided like a terminal illness on two legs. Anyone who happened to find themselves in the same room as me fled shortly after mumbling about some important business they needed to tend to.

This would be my life for the foreseeable future. Everyone would now only see me as the shadow alpha's mate, too afraid of his title to even give me the time of day.

Save a few.

Rachel, my family, and Louisa of course weren't obviously trying to avoid me. But the look of pity and mourning in their eyes every time they caught wind of me caused me to try and avoid them.

I felt alone.

It was late by the time I felt myself drawn to go to the kitchen. The sunlight already leaked completely away by the time I walked into the room.

I hadn't expected to see anyone down there so late, perhaps a maid or stray cook prepping tomorrows food.

I was shocked to see my mother slumped at the island, two empty bottles of wine and one nearly complete sat beside her on the counter. The only light on was one directly above the island, almost like a spotlight on her.

She must've been too intoxicated to acknowledge her senses because she didn't rouse to the sound of me as I approached.

"Mom?" I peeped in a quiet voice, gently touching her shoulders.

Her head peered up from her arms and her glazed over eyes scanned my face for a moment before creasing as she smiled. Her usually pristine makeup was smudge and completely missing in some places.

"My beautiful girl." She mumbled and reached up and began stroking my head, her fingers occasionally detangling snarls in my hair. "You doing okay?" She said light and airy.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I give a small smile and lean into her touch.

"You're hair was always so wild when you were little. No matter how much I brushed it. It'd seem like a minute passed and it go back to a jungle." She murmured absent mindedly, her voice slurring and over pronouncing parts. "Just like you were though. Always running around causing mayhem."

"Can't say much has changed." I chuckled lightly, hoping to invoke a laugh. My eyes quietly taking in my mother's face. Studying the wrinkles she's acquired and streaks of ash bitten hair falling from her bun.

My mother then stopped and frowned. "No." She began. "You're grown now." She gazed over my features and studied me like the cover of a book. "You've turned into an remarkable women. Strong and fearless." Her eyes watered, her voice becoming more restrained as she tried to keep composure.

"I have failed you as a mother." She couldn't help the sobs that tore from her body, tears dripping like raindrops down her cheeks. "I couldn't protect you. And now your going to be taken from me." She creaked the last bit like her throat was beginning to constrict her voice.

I rushed to hold her, clutching my mother tightly as her shaking body clung to mine like at any moment I may disappear. "Don't say that. I'm not going anywhere. I'm staying right here with you and dad." I whispered to her, trying to soothe the whimpers that crushed me. "I'm right here." I whisper again.

She hugged me like I was a lighthouse in the middle of a raging stormy ocean. That if she'd let go for even a second the waves would swept us apart.

At some point her crying died down and her eyes began to droop. I helped her stand and walked with her through the pack house up to her room.

Before she headed in she reached up and tucked my hair behind my ear and gave a sad smile. "Goodnight, Aspen."

"Night, mom." I said to her as she opened and closed her bedroom door.