Bring It On

Hunter stood outside the pack house, the sun now scaled just over the mountain in the distance. His pack members circled around him, some already in their fur.

They'd been outside waiting for a full half an hour. Becoming increasingly impatient.

"Aspen!" The Alpha called out.

I peaked from the window I was stationed in front of. He stood there like the grim reaper coming to steal my soul. His golden eyes flickered even as I watched from the third floor.

"Aspen, come out!" He bellowed, his deep voice sending involuntary tingles throughout my body.

Despite his demands, I remained motionless. Staring out the window with no intention of moving.

"You can't stay in here forever." Rachel calmly remarked beside me. Her voice non-accusatory but just telling me the truth.

"I know." Staring out the bottom of the window. "I'm just preparing."

I was being vague, but if I said the words out loud I was afraid I'd lose my nerve.

"For what?" Rachel probed desperately. I could feel the anxiety coming off of her.

Before I could answer her our door was finally caved in.

Several Stone Lake members had been charging against the reinforced door for the past twenty minutes. Rachel and I had stacked all of the room's furniture against it in hopes to buy us some extra time.

But time had run out.

The first to stumble into the room, out of breath and fury clear in his eyes was Alpha Bruno.

"You!" He seethed, I could imagine disgusting foam frothing at his mouth.

The enraged middle aged male stomped forward, my mother, father, and a few other pack members close behind.

"Alpha Hunter is threatening to rage war on the pack if you aren't in front of him in the next 5 minutes" I looked past him unconcerned and saw my parents who looked at me with increasing misery. They tried to cover their sadness, but I could still tell.

I stood from my crouched position. "I'll go." And walked right past the fuming Alpha Bruno.

"You little..." Bruno hissed wickedly, but bit his tongue. "I hope he is everything that the stories say he is." Condemning me as I descended down the stairs.

I walked slow, but confident in my strides. My head held high and proud as I marched towards the front door.

The staff had gathered in the foyer, Louisa was in the front watching me with tears in her eyes.

"Oh, Aspen." She croaked and I took her hands and offered a smile for comfort and a look of assurance.

Don't worry Louisa.

I released her then edged in front of the door. Steadying my breath as I placed a hesitant hand on the door's cold handle. My entire body shook like I was plunged in a frozen lake.

Then like jumping off the cliff I swung open the door and emerged to face my mate.

The Red Druids observed as I encroached closer. Their Alpha frozen stiff in place like he was straining to contain himself. I knew it wasn't often that he had someone disobey his orders.

"Aspen-" Hunter growled as I stood before him.

But I held my hand up to silence him. An act which I saw in his eyes did not please him.

I looked at the male before and saw a predator. His body feigned a relaxed position, few would question its authenticity. But underneath the surface I noted his stance and the way his eyes scanned his surroundings looking for any possible assailants. I doubt he'd ever turn his back to me, that would leave him far more vulnerable then he'd prefer.