Prologue

Present (2023)

*at Y/company's name
Y/n (27 years old)

It's still early in the morning. And here one of my employees already made a mistake by using too many useless things on our presentation slideshow. I'm thankful to myself for deciding to look through his works.

*sigh*

"Okay... what do you think? What should we do with this kind of work... of yours?" I asked him calmly while leaning back in my black swivel chair. I looked straight into his eyes to make sure that my hidden message from my question getting through to his brain. I can see that he gulped nervously in front of me. "I'm- I'm so sorry, ma'am!" sorry? Argh such a dumbass.

Clearing my throat softly, trying to calm myself from cursing at him. I crossed my arms and then looked at him. "Why don't you just fix it by today and show it to me again, please? Can you do that for me?" I demanded calmly while smiling at him. He nodded immediately. "Good. Thank you for your cooperation, Mr. Hong." I handed back the soft copy of his work. Then he bowed politely to me, but before he got out of my office. I speak again, "I'll be waiting, so please. Do it properly this time."

I can't just be soft towards my employees but still, I won't yell like an idiot towards them. If we want to be successful, we have to work hard and smart together towards the goals. We can't just work carelessly like that.

My work was interrupted by a knock on my door. "Come in!" my secretary came in. "Ms. Bae, someone wanna meet you." I looked up at her. "I didn't remember you told me that I got an appointment today or did I forget about it?" I asked while smiling. "No, it's just—" someone entered my office from behind her. "We need to talk." I looked at the person that came inside my office as if she owned it. "Ah... okay, Seulgi. Thanks, you can leave now." I said to my secretary politely then she closed the door carefully.

Jennie Kim.

The woman that suddenly comes again into my life.

My ex-girlfriend.

"Jennie, it's my pleasure to get to meet you. Sorry that I can't attend your wedding." I apologize while making my way to my couch and— oh never mind she already sat down before I invited her though. The brown envelope in Jennie's hand caught my eye. "I wanna talk about this," Jennie said while putting the envelope on my modern coffee table gently. I raised an eyebrow curiously. "Hm okay... can I take a look at it then?" I'm asking for her permission politely. "Grab it and look at it. Read it carefully." bossy as always. Well, that's her charm though.

And she's hot, that's for sure.

I opened the envelope carefully and then took out a few pieces of paper. I'm— what is this? "Divorce?! But Jen? It's— it's not even a year— and it's not even almost 4 months you and Han—, correct me if I'm wrong... but this... too sudden— what's wrong, Jen? What the fuck did Han do to you again?" I'm shocked as if it's my marriage. I took a look at the paper again while furrowing my eyebrow, yup, no mistake. It is a divorce paper between Han and Jennie.

Oh yeah, it's about Han and Jennie's marriage.

Why does she wanna talk about this with me then?

"This is stupid, Y/n." I looked up at her. I tilted my head a little, confused. "What do you mean?" I asked her then putting down the papers. Jennie ran her fingers into her hair harshly. "Why didn't you come to my wedding that time, Y/n? Why? I was waiting for you." okay? What's wrong with her?

"Waiting for me?" I asked curiously. Jennie stands up and then moves closer to me making me lean back to my couch which made me look up at her. "I fucking love you, Y/n. Can't you see that? All I did was just to make you jealous, can't you see it?! When I told you that I'm going to marry that guy, tell me the truth! You are jealous, right?! You want me as much as I want you, right?!" Jennie lets out her frustration while poking my chest using her index finger with every word she says.

Let me remind you guys again.

It's still morning, but here is my ex-girlfriend spouting nonsense towards me.

"Love me? Don't be nonsense, please. For the last time, I'm already over you ever since I decided to tie the knot with her. To love her, only her at that time. You did acknowledge that. Don't deny it." I said calmly to her. But Jennie trapped me by putting her hands on my couch's hand resting beside me. So our closeness right now, how should I say this? It's almost like we're kissing. "But she's gone. She's no longer with you, isn't she?" I'm glaring at Jennie. "Shut up. Even though she's not here with me anymore, she's still alive in my heart. That's for sure." Jennie backs away slowly from me. Turns around to pick up her handbag. Oh, I didn't realize she brought her handbag just now. "Just so you know, Y/n. I'm single now, so you are. Don't ever think that I'm going to give up on you." then she walks out of my office.

"That's funny, Jennie. Very funny, 'cause that's not what you show me when we're still together though." I said by myself. I stand up just to continue my work.

What a shitty way to begin my day.

🧸🥂
Thank you.
-B