Love is Blind Sometimes...Literally. (4)

I'm sick, so my dad made me his version of chicken noodle soup with all sorts of herbs. I told him it reminded me of Elle Enchanted, my favorite book, because I keep on picking out these long herbs, and Ella's mom picked out the unicorn hairs in the soup that the fairy made her so she died. I told him that it broke my heart everytime I read it. He sort of looked at me funny and said, "Only Sarah Grace."

I'm better now, but i want to remember that. So I'm keeping that little blurb up there. ;)

~~~~~~~

Lena's POV:

There was urgent knocking on the door. I reached out and shook Seth, who was breathing peacefully beside me, and he got up and opened the door.

"Yes?"

"Meeting with the alpha," the guy replied. I recognized his voice. He was the third in command, Henry. "It's urgent."

"Do you know what it's about?"

Seth knew. We both knew. But he was trying to find out just who the alpha had told.

"No."

"Thank you. I'll be ready in a minute."

The door clicked shut and a moment later, the bed dipped beside me. "I'll be back in an hour."

I frowned. "What makes you think I won't be coming with you."

"You're hurt," he said simply.

"And?"

"And, you're not coming." He got up and I heard the sound of a drawer being opened. He rustled around. I scowled. "How are YOU going to make that decision for ME?"

"I'm your mate."

"Do you see 'owned by Seth' stamped across my chest?"

He stopped talking for a moment. Then, "No."

"Oh my God."

"Well, you asked a logical question and I checked. Problem?"

I folded my arms across my chest. "That doesn't give you a right to blatantly stare."

"I think I have the right more than anyone else in the world."

I opened my mouth to retort a smart comment but he went into another room, shutting the door with a final 'click'. I waited for a moment, then scooted over to the edge of the bed, carefully feeling around so I wouldn't end up on the ground. Throwing my legs over the side awkwardly, I stood up. My legs wobbled and I felt a bit lightheaded, but other than that I was okay.

Carefully walking toward where I thought the door was, I felt around for the doorknob. The heightened senses definitely helped. Quietly, I opened the door and slipped out...bumping right into someone.

We both sprawled to the ground, and I inhaled the smell of coffee beans and jasmine.

"Cammie?"

"Oh man, I'm so sorry, I was in a rush, I didn't see you." She helped me up. And for the first time in years, I didn't really know what to say. She broke the ice.

"So, what's your mate like?"

We both winced, and decided to ignore it. I rolled my eyes. "Pigheaded, but sweet at the same time. Et toi?" (And you?)

She smiled at my use of French. When we were little, Cammie was convinced that we would both get French mates with strong, buff arms and smiles that could rival lasers. I didn't care about any of that, but Cassie did. So we set to learning French.

She taught me how to say things rather than write them, using Internet classes and videos and books from the library. By the time we were twelve, we were fluent in it. It didn't hurt that we could say swear words or anything around our parents and have them not know what we were saying.