8-Need of information

Jesus Christ, while planning this didn't seem as long. Also, I got 99 problems, four versions of chapter 9 and fucked up my wifi and my relationship. So please, no bickering.

I loved Damari's humble little love bug. I loved resting in the soft old leather and hear the old hydrogen engine shutter oh so softly, listen to Arnaxis snarky jokes that we were all about to explode in a bubble gum colored deathtrap. I loved listening to Damari's art rock playlist, decades behind the current music from yesterday and the soft blue morning light shining through the dust covered windows.

There was little I could have found more comfort in, yet I found myself twitching every time there was a noise outside and repeating my small sentences of reassurance over and over again, trying to convince Damari that I was indeed alright.

I had forced him to take me along, adding Arnaxis to the mix and so creating a strange type of field trip we would have to explain once we reached our destination. A small little house in the outskirts, far out where you could see the red dust and old oxygen pumps, no one bothered to hide how little we were meant for our way of living.

It were tight settlements out here, small huts of polymer. Some belonging to those who weren't so lucky in life, found themselves with little money to live off. People like Jemna, a former maid in my parents house. A back then middle-aged woman who threatened to contact the authorities but backed away when my mother threatened her.

"Her daughter takes care of her, she's quite old by now" I nodded, barely remembering her in youth. A picture too blurry to figure out anything more specific. But it made me wonder how much she knew. About the abuse, about my father. I found myself asking such questions even when I didn't want to know. She didn't bother to help after all. She left, leaving us in the same misery we had been in before.

Us.

I shook my head, finally following Arnaxis, stepping up close to him. He didn't say another word, just looking around aimlessly, searching for something in this neighborhood I couldn't identify. "Strange to see those poor provinces now" he mumbled under his breath, suddenly brushing over my knuckles, startling me. I hadn't noticed he was holding my hand, that our fingers entangled.

In fact I was getting used to the constant little shocks that I felt whenever we touched. They were still there. But ever since I realized that no one else seemed to notice, my fear vanished in its stead.

And once again I doubted my drugs' effect, waiting until Damari touched the dirt-red display in front of the door, looking right into the camera. And as soon as he flashed a smile, I heard the soft sound that indicated we were free to go, following Damari like obedient puppies, stepping into a small blue hallway, littered in decoration and smelling like age.

There was a small woman standing in the hallway. Braided purple locks on one half, a buzzcut on the other. She had eerie green eyes and a bright smile, couldn't be far over thirty. Not Jemna, I was sure. Her daughter, I guessed.

"Dr. Siesama" Damari tapped his boots against the floor mat, shaking the collar of his luxurious blue coat to get rid of the dust. Not for his own sake, but that of the floor "Damari, please." he gave back, friendly but humble, his voice not raising the tiniest bit. Sometimes, I would love to call him Doctor Professor. But I valued my life in his favour.

She blushed and for a moment I felt my chest clench, squeezed Arnaxis hand tighter. Making him raise an eyebrow at me, the edges of his mouth raising a bit before he spoke, to a smile so fluttering, that I let go of his hand, looking at Damari. Who didn't seem to bother, instead watching me, slightly confused "Arnaxis and Kyris, we're sorry for joining so suddenly"