Chapter 9: Still more fluff :/

I wake up on the bench. My head is resting on Arius's shoulder, his head on my head. I extract my head and lay him on the bench, his head on my lap. Gently, I shake him. "Arius, wake up." It is sunrise and it is beautiful. "Arius."

He opens his eyes sleepily and tries his best to keep them open but to no avail. "Let me sleep," he mumbles, turning his head so that his face faces me. "Arius, it's already sunrise." I am tempted to leave him here and go back, but that would be mean. Sighing, I say, "Then I'll just carry you down." Arius's eyes fly open. "Oh hell no." Groaning, he sits up and rubs his eyes, getting off the bench. Scooping me into his arms, he carries me bridal-style to our floor.

"Arius!" I squeal, clutching on for dear life. "Shh, Princess, the others are still sleeping," Arius presses a finger to my lips, smirking. I blush, allowing him to carry me to his bedroom. Placing me on his bed, he pulls out a necklace from his bedside table. The pendant is in the shape of a fox, and it's made of a white crystal. On closer examination, it is one of the crystals used for scrying with Demons. The pendant is on a thick thread, connected by a few rings of thin rope. Arius pulls it over my head, tightening the necklace around my neck.

"Thanks," I mumble, rubbing the pendant. "Is this even allowed?"

"Tributes can take a Token to remember their District. I noticed you didn't have one, so I gave it to you. I have already sent it for checking. It's fine."

"I... Thank you."

"You're welcome," Arius says, moving me closer to him. Capturing my mouth in a kiss, he snakes his hands up to me, causing me to whimper softly. He flips onto me in a single smooth stroke, continuing to kiss me. My hands on Arius's chest, I reach up and hug his neck. His hands go under my shirt, moving his fingers up and down my back. Everywhere he touches feels like on fire.

Pulling back, Arius smirks when he sees my face flushed red. "Get ready for breakfast, Princess."

---

At breakfast, Asher is still gloating. Jewel looks ready to punch Asher, Arius is sipping tea from a teacup, holding his cup in the bizarre manner that was unique to him. Emi is chatting to Arius about her ideas. I take a seat in between Jewel and Emi. "Hi everyone," I greet dully, looking down at my breakfast. French toast with bacon, hot cocoa in a cup and mushroom soup. "I need to coach you for your interview, Raven," Jewel says. I nod, conceding to her unsaid request.

"So how was the kiss I gave you, Raven?" Asher cocks his head. He seems to have forgotten what I told him. "Horrible," I mutter blandly, drinking my hot cocoa. "Don't be shy. I know it was awesome, right?" He puffs out his chest, looking proud of himself. My head snaps up from my drink. "It was goddamn horrible, so shut the hell up." I snap, annoyed by his persistence. Finding myself thinking of ways to torture, castrate and dismember Asher, I grin like a maniac. "God, she has gone crazy," Jewel mutters. Arius looks up from his tea and puts the cup down. "So, Raven." I jump. "I hear you made allies?"

"Yes, Arius. Annie Leonhart, Akiko Li and Ethan Anderson. Annie is good at hand-to-hand combat, Akiko is very intelligent and Ethan knows how to treat wounds."

"That sounds like good choices. What about you, Asher?"

"I have an army of girls!"

I snort into my cocoa while the Capitolites don't bother to hide their laughter, laughing so hard that tears run down their cheeks. Arius however, is not amused. "So what can they do?"

"Um..." Asher is clueless. "Nothing," I clarify for him. "So they're useless, only dead weight. Except that Sasha, at least she can shoot. I don't know why she's attracted to someone like you."

"No-"

"I'm implying that you are stupid to consider them your allies. Honestly, don't you have anyone else more useful?"

"I have you." Asher looks into my eyes. I laugh. "Me? My allies will never accept you! Annie already wants to kill you when the Gong rings! Even Krys hates you!"

"Who's Krys?" Jewel asks. Arius looks at me, his eyes warning me not to say anymore.

"My imaginary friend," I mumble. Not the best excuse. "Imaginary friend!" Asher howls, tears running down his cheeks. "My imaginary friend is way smarter than you'll ever be," I retort. Emi cracks up. Flustered, Asher gets up and leaves the room.

"Say, Raven. Where did you get that necklace?" Emi asks. I fumble for an answer. "It's my District token, Emi."

"I'm not asking you what it is. I'm asking where did you get it from."

"From a Mentor," I say. "Strange... I remember giving a necklace that looks like that to Arius and telling him to give it to someone he loves." Emi mutters. "Toshiba, I gave that necklace to Raven." Arius clarifies. Emi narrows her eyes. "Why?"

Arius's cheeks grow red, but he says nothing. "Ooh, you have a crush on her!" Emi jumps up and down. "My OTP!"

"Emi, sto- what's an OTP?"

"Ship, the ship is sailing!" Emi sings, still bouncing up and down. It does nothing to help Arius's expression, getting redder and redder. "Stop," he looks utterly embarrassed, taking deep breaths. "Emi Toshiba!"

She sits back down on her chair, grinning nonstop. Arius's blush goes away and his face returns to his usual expressionless mask. Asher comes back into the room on cue. "Did I miss anything?"

"Oh, Asher! Arius has a-" Emi is muffled by Arius's hand. "Where were you, taking a long shit?" Arius asks sarcastically. "What did I miss?" Asher presses. I breathe in. "Nothing," I say sharply. "Finish your breakfast. We're leaving for Training."