The "Promise"

845 is the year when I knew what I needed to do and set it in stone. It wasn't the first time I've seen bloodshed or had my home taken from me, but it was the first time I've seen a titan. It was the first time I've seen what they could do. It was the first time I was overwhelmed with such a colossal amount of hatred and rage. I will never forget it.

"Evie!" I turned to the familiar voice of my best friend, Leandra Russo. She'd been my best friend for as long as I could remember honestly. Leandra ran towards me with her peach colored hair tied in a bun atop her head with her iconic red hair ribbon, not trailing too far back was her twin brother Leon looking as annoyed as ever with his sisters antics. "What are you doing here? You didn't come by the shop today and we didn't see you when the Scouts left." She asked after glomping me.

"I-"

"Would you give her some breathing room, Lea? Maybe Evely wanted to be alone today." Leon stated giving Lea a sidelong glare.

"It's not-"

Lea gasped and immediately released me from her embrace. "Is that true, Evie? Are you getting tired of us?"

"No, it's not like that! I was just thinking about my mom a lot today, that's all." I finally was able to get out after being interrupted twice. "You guys are my only friends, why would I get tired of you?"

Leon scoffed, brushing his peach blonde hair out of his face. "Who said we were friends. I'm only here to make sure Lea doesn't do something stupid."

"Yeah, sure." Lea rolled her eyes. "I'm not a baby so I don't need a sitter. You come cause you think Evie's cute."

I raised my brow at that. This is the first time I'm hearing this. Leon's seafoam green eyes widened and his cheeks began to flare up, his pale skin making it obvious he was blushing. "What are you talking about? I never said that! And you definitely are a baby!"

"You did say it! You talk in your sleep all the time! Just admit it already! And if I'm a baby then so are you, we're exactly the same age!"

"I'm older than you in maturity... And by a few seconds." Leon mumbled, completely ignoring the first part of Lea's accusation.

"What?! That's not an excuse!" She argued, being easily side tracked.

It was always amusing watching their sibling arguments. It made me envy them a little, wishing I had a brother or sister. Someone other than just my dad at least. Lea and Leon had each other plus their aunt and uncle who owned a bakery here. They came from Wall Sina to watch over them. Their parents were in the Survey Corps. They told me when we first met how since their parents died in the line of action, they wanted to join and continue their legacy. Their aunt and uncle were obviously highly against it.

When they told me that, I supported them. As dangerous as it might be, the Survey Corps are the only ones brave enough to venture outside the walls and face the titans. Everyone inside the walls, no matter if it's here or farther in, everyone is just sitting in a cage like prey. Just waiting to be picked off. I wanted to join as well, I needed to see what was outside of the walls; for her.

A flash of my mother's face crossed my mind and made me wince.

"Hey," Lea put her hand on my shoulder. "you okay?"

I clutched my head, nodding. "Yeah, just thinking too much." I winced in pain again, but this time from being smacked on the head by Leon.

"Then stop thinking, dummy."

I rolled my eyes at the boy. "Wow, what great advice."

"Hey! You can't just put your hands on Evie like that!" Lea screamed in her brother's face. She is always quick to come to my defense when it came to Leon.