Hope of Morning

"How can we win? Our foes are gigantic. But deep within, we're just as barbaric."

~

Not too long after setting off, we could hear all the shouting and screams in the distance. Very vaguely we could feel tremors from the footsteps of titans somewhere- or hopefully, the falling of a defeated titan. The further into the city we went, the more buildings and houses we saw destroyed. Roofs crumbled inwards, the whole siding completely ripped off to the point only half the house stood. Not long after that, we would fly over large splatters of blood. Splashes across the houses, windows, the streets, it was everywhere. The smell of iron wafted throughout the streets from the bloodshed.

Then came the bodies.

Half-eaten soldiers, limbs tossed carelessly aside, the decapitations...

I was never comfortable at the sight of blood. But the bodies- or what was left of them, it made my stomach turn and gave me goosebumps, I forced the bile that formed in my throat down and struggled to keep my eyes forward. Ever since mom, I can't...

"It's just like our first night training, huh?" Lea asked suddenly as we flew through down the streets and over rooftops. "Well, sort of anyway. Minus Ymir and Christa." She added quickly, I could tell she was trying to distract me by the way she kept glancing between me and the road under us along with the worried crease of her brows.

"I'd prefer we weren't with you guys at all." Ymir spat out.

"Well, that's too bad, ain't it?" Connie shot back. "It's not like we wanna be with you."

I'm so glad they could be themselves.

I landed on a roof abruptly and turned, everyone landing shortly after.

"Alright, the both of you need to stop this now." I pointed to the rest of the city behind me. "Trost is under attack as we speak and you wanna argue?!" I shouted at the two annoyed with their current behavior. "Ymir, I know you don't like me but there are much bigger things happening right now than this little world you're living in your head. Get your ass in gear." The tall brunette cocked her brow at me, not bothering to hide the nasty look she was giving me. "And Connie, just shut it. You're adding fuel to the fire and it's the very last thing we need right now."

Connie just threw his hands in the air, sighing harshly. "Whatever, Red. It's your call."

"And who the hell died and made you a captain?" Ymir asked, glaring down at me.

Because Christa and I went to the infirmary together on occasions to learn some medical skills, Ymir didn't like one bit that we were together, and has just given me backhanded comments for three years.

Though, I'm sure she hasn't liked me since day one of training.

"Evie always takes the role of captain in squads, we all know that." Lea answered, shooting Ymir a dirty look of her own.

Ymir scoffed. "Well, I don't see anything that makes her a captain so I don't have to follow her orders." Is she serious right now?

Annoyance mixed with anger swelled up inside me as I took a step to her. Although she was much taller than me, it didn't sway me in the slightest the way she thought towering over me would.

"I don't see you fit to be captain either, that is not the damn point! I don't care who's captain or not! We're supposed to be supporting the middle guard and we're standing here arguing over dumb shit! Are you so self-absorbed, you don't care that more people could be dying at this very fucking moment?!" I screamed, my chest rising and falling from the exasperation and the rise of my anxiety. I didn't care who or what heard me. This was absolutely, ridiculously outrageous. Even though I'm witnessing it with my very own eyes, I couldn't believe how uncaring Ymir could be about what was going on around her.