Alive

"You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you."

~

Following the rest of the cadets further into HQ, we all reached the inner area where we had to take the lift down to the actual supply room. However, according to one of the members of the supply team, it's crawling with about seven 4 meter titans. Armin had a plan that would require the MP's guns first which were stationed here prior- also for supply. If we couldn't get our hands on those guns, we were screwed basically. Jean, Leon and a few other cadets went into one of the back rooms in search of the shotguns having more hope than awhile ago when I looked at the lot of their faces. The rest of us sat around in the larger room with the lift, ordering it up from below. So now we were just waiting, for both the firearms and the elevator.

Or ultimately, death. I thought cynically to myself.

Marco sat with me and Lea right beside the lift. I figured he would've went with the Jean to find the MP's weapons, but I was glad he chose to be here with me, as selfish as that sounds. Right now, everything was chaotic and I wasn't sure who was getting through this day. I just want to spend it to those that matter to me. My mind automatically flashed an image to this morning. Eren, Mina, Thomas, Nack, Milleus. How many others already died today? How many others will? Granted, we have a strange titan just outside fighting against the other man-eating titans but, how long will that last?

I felt a light squeeze in my hand, causing me to look up in surprise. Marco stared down at me, a small smile played on his lips.

"You're doing that thing again."

My brows were knitted together. "What thing?"

"Where you're overthinking and your face is all scrunched up and your head is tilted sideways." He chuckled, making me blink hard. I promptly straightened my head then.

"I do not do that." I pouted, turning my face away.

Lea leaned in. "You do it all the time Evie, you make a face like you got a mouthful of mud." She giggled at me. "That was hilarious!"

I rolled my eyes. "That only happened once, get over it already."

I got a bit too comfortable once during training at going full speed with my ODM gear. Being too close to the ground, my anchor came undone like it had in the drill where Reiner and Bertholdt helped me and I fell face first into mud, since it had rained the day before.

Lea grinned, closing her eyes. "And I await the day it happens again." After a moment, her face grew solemn. "If we get the chance, I mean."

I nudged her. "Hey," Her green eyes, curtained by her rose gold hair met with my brown ones. "we'll get through this. We're going to live." She watched me for a moment, doubt mixed with worry swam across her face at once. I don't blame her, I wasn't even sure I could believe my own words. But I didn't want her to feel like we were hopeless, not when she's spend all this time being optimistic. I released Marco's hand in order to hug her awkwardly having both of our gear in the way. "I swear, I'll do everything to make sure of it. You trust me, don't you?"

I felt her head nod over my shoulder. "Of course. We protect each other, yeah?"

I pulled away to smile at her. "Always."

Lea smiled back at me before swatting the air. "Alright, that's enough of this sappy crap." With that, she pushed herself off the ground and walked towards Sasha.

I sighed and leaned my head on Marco's shoulder, slipping my hand back into his.

"Marco?"

"Yeah?"