Chapter 6: Unbreakable

The entire mansion went into a panic mode of sorts after Cataleya's ominous declaration about my diminishing power. After our dinner that evening, Ezekiel gathered all the vital people in our group inside the office to talk about my current dilemma.

"I really don't know the extent or the rate of Ike's power loss. I only felt it, and it's not even at its peak yet. I'm afraid it's going to accelerate even further in the days to come," Cataleya said to everyone when asked again how on Earth she was able to know that I'm losing my powers.

"What could've caused it?" Faye asked.

Professor Elena and Ezekiel replied simultaneously. "Fusion."

Some of the people inside the office raised their eyebrows, having no idea whatsoever about what the Evanescas just said. Ezekiel cleared his throat, and I could see extreme exhaustion in his face, as if he's been dreading that this day would come.

"Ike and RB are capable of fusing. It's made possible by the fact that they're both Elementals and Primes to boot. Fusion is a really complicated and ridiculously difficult thing to do. People usually end up dead or with swapped body parts when they attempt to do it. You do not need skill to perform it, but you need an unbelievable amount of trust for it to work. A lot of people say that fusion is the most powerful form of bond between two people, even stronger than friendship, love, or marriage," Ezekiel said.

"When you fuse with someone, you actually leave a part of yourself in your partner. To be specific, you leave a part of your magic, soul, and blood in that person. Those little portions of yourself allow you to fuse again with that same person, and it's also the reason why you can never fuse with a different person once you've already fused with someone. Like I said, it is a bond stronger than marriage itself," he added.

Ezekiel gazed out of the tall windows behind the desk. Out in the yard, some of our classmates are gathered around a bonfire and are talking to each other or playing games.

"Now, the bond between those two people needs to be taken care of. It needs to be nurtured. Once you've fused with someone, you always have to be with him or her. If the two of you are separated for a very long time, both of you could lose your powers or die," Ezekiel declared.

Some of the people gasped, while the others threw me alarmed or pitying stares.

"The two of you can still be separated for a long time, provided that both of you have an assurance that you will be rejoined in the future. In Ike and RB's case, there is no certainty that they will be rejoined. As you can see with Ike, the effects of it are starting to show up," Professor Elena added.

"The bond is nurtured by simply talking to the person whom you fused with or just by being with them. In some cases, like yours, a sexual connection is needed to nourish that bond," Ezekiel said.

"Is that the reason why you almost killed me and RB when you saw us fusing?" I asked Ezekiel.

He nodded. "Yes. Not to mention that you two are both Primes. Considering the nature of your respective weirdnesses, you and RB shouldn't even have fused in the very first place. Your fusion, though extremely powerful, just complicated things for us."

"But what about RB? Isn't the exact same thing going to happen to him, too?" Alice asked.

Ezekiel sighed. "That. . . is our another problem."

"Serafina knows about the bond between Ike and her son," Professor Elena said. "In fact, you already saw how she's going to get around that bond."

Almost everyone raised their eyebrows. I, however, already knew the answer. "By masking or erasing RB's memories," I said grimly.