Chapter 30: The Missing Heart

This chapter was supposed to be the 'climax' of the previous update, kaso kinulang nga ako sa oras kaya 'di na siya nakahabol. One-chapter update lang 'to, but I am confident na may laman ang chapter na 'to kahit nag-iisa lang siya. After all, this chapter probably has the biggest revelation of the entire series, kaya deserve niya talaga na ma-publish nang mag-isa.

Also, TENGENE 4G NA TALAGA ANG SIGNAL DITO SA 'MIN. Haha. I cannot promise regular updates, pero makakaasa kayo na at least hindi na once a month ang updates ko. Yey. Magbunyi mga timawa.

theashtone

※ ※ ※

"I have an order for you, Ms. Evanesca."

The young lady in a formal green coat and pants stood with utmost alertness and grace in front of three men sitting around a table. Despite the blatant intimidation of the three men in front of her, Esmerelda Evanesca didn't waver from her regal poise. The four of them were inside a dark room where the only sources of illumination were the light coming from the windows. Behind the young lady stood an ornate double door, which reduced the noises outside the room to dull buzzes.

Esmerelda cocked her head in response, urging the man to continue with what he's saying.

"I want you to lead the team that will hunt down Serafina."

Silence.

Young Esmerelda blinked once before taking a deep breath. "I'm afraid I am not qualified for the job, gentlemen," she said in a calm, composed voice.

"On the contrary," replied one of the men in front of her before consulting some papers, "you are very much qualified for the job. It's only been a few years since you graduated from Emerald but you're already in the Top 10 of the agent rankings. Also, remember that Serafina has a multitude of powers in her arsenal due to her Stealing Weirdness, that's why we thought that your Utilization Weirdness is a perfect match for her power. You are the only person capable of fighting her, Esmerelda."

"We've been monitoring her movements ever since she started delivering her speeches," the man continued. "Unfortunately, we can't arrest her because she's not doing anything wrong. However, just a few days ago, Serafina decimated an entire island, along with all its inhabitants. Our sources told us that she's been living there for quite some years now. Also, numerous magical communities have started attacking non-magical people and local governments all over the country. We have evidence that Serafina is responsible for these attacks, urging them to rise up against the government. We are on the brink of a civil war, Esmerelda. We must severe the head of the snake before it poisons even more people."

Esmerelda closed her eyes for a moment as if to compose herself. "I grew up with Serafina. I even considered her once as my own sister. We only parted ways when I ran away to study in Emerald. I have confidence in my capability to fight her, but I cannot possibly hurt an old friend of mine. I am not qualified for the job not because I don't have the skills to take her down, but rather because we have a deep connection that runs all the way back to our childhood. I'm sorry."