i. like the planet

CHAPTER ONE !
( i. like the planet? )

The sound of people chatting and the beeping of the register sounded through the room as I typed in a customers order

"Neptune? That's your name? Like the planet?" the man asks.

You'd be surprised how many times a day I'm asked this. I'm about two seconds away from burning this name badge. I swear to god it-

"Would you like any sauces with that, sir?" I asked with monotone lacing my voice.

"Well.. Umm? What sauces do you guys have?" he replied.

"This is a Mcdonald's. We have the generics," how dumb do you have to be to not know Mcdonald's sauces.
JUST GET FUCKING BARBECUE!

"Could I get a list?" the man asks with a nervous smile.

"No" i reply simply.

I'm trying not to lose my job considering it's the only source of income i have what so ever. But sometimes, you just need to stop. That's what my mom used to say. Well, before she left my dad. She used to be pretty chill, after all, she was my mom. Nowadays, she kind of a bitch. I don't understand how she's able to get all of her 'boy toys'. I mean she's not that pretty. Then again, neither am I.

I walk into the back little kitchen area, moving around people and dodging their movements. I take of my cap and jacket and throw it in the break room.

As I walked to the door glowing with the word 'EXIT', I was stopped with a clearing throat.

I sigh and turn around knowing well that it was my boss.

To my surprise, it was my manager. Lucky for me, the manager is also my best friend.

"Neptune, where the hell are you going? You have another three hours left on your shift!" she complains. I gave her a slightly annoyed look and she fully understood.

"Cover for me? Will ya, Soph?" I ask as politely as possible. She sighed heavily and opened the door up for me. I could have done that on my own but i'm not complaining that she did it for me.

I gave her a sweet smile and walk out. You never know how wonderful fresh air is until you smell oil and grease for 7+ hours straight.

I opened my car door and got inside, starting it up. I didn't have enough money for my own car so this is actually my dads. He didn't say I would borrow it but i don't care.

The drive was short to my house. Maybe the ride would have been more enjoyable if the radio didn't only play the same song.

Escape by Rupert Holmes.
You know? That one song that's like:
If you like pina coladas, getting caught in the rain.

I walk up to my door step and see that the door is locked. I literally can't trust my dad to do anything! Oh my god!

I stomp back into the car, slamming the car door behind me. My head layed on the steering wheel.

Why is my life so stressful. I just want to get away. God, if you can hear me and have any ideas of what to do with my life, hit my line.

Give me a sign.

As if destiny was punching me in the face, I got my sign.

•••