•14: In Love•

Long time, no see, eh?
Happy New Year, happy new chapters.

|Chapter Fourteen|

"Stop!" Miss Bukola's shrill voice effectively broke the tautness in the SS3 atmosphere.

All our pens dropped in alliance, a collective sigh of relief could be heard all over the classroom as the young spinster who taught us Economics moved around and collected our test scripts in an orderly fashion. The state of quietness everyone of us was exhibiting was proof of how much we were all thinking the same thing.

First term exams were drawing near. And with it came the nearness of national entrance exams for university screening.

Secondary school was almost over. Real life was beginning.

Well, maybe not for everyone.

I listened as some of the guys chattered at the back of the class.

"We have to go there tonight! It's Friday, guy!"

A/N: Saying 'Guy!' is a Nigerian way of saying, 'Dude!"

"We gonna paint that club red, man! Look, SOJ, Ridwan told me that there were fresh babes available..."

I tuned them out at this point. Such irritating, provocative human beings.

"Y'all are invited to Club Seventeen tonight!" Soji's boisterous voice rang so callously, I cringed. "Especially the ladies! Big Daddy promises treat you well!"

The sound of flesh being slapped and whooping followed the proclamation. I glanced at Dami and found that she was also listening to their nonsense. Her eyes met mine as she turned to me.

"Can we get out of here?" She asked, an eye roll accompanying her question.

I laughed and stood, gathering my writing materials and extending my hand. "Yes, please."

Smiling, she took my hand and we escaped the senselessness together.

"How was the entire test period for you, Sharie?" Dami asked as we walked serenely down the hallway. We knew where we were headed, even without any prior plans.

I glanced at my friend and wanted, for some reason, to weep. I blinked.

"Aww, Sharie, was it hard? Why didn't you tell me something?"

"Wow," I breathed.

"Is something wrong?" Dami's eyes were narrowed, her lips tipping down at both corners.

I released a sigh. We were strolling towards the bleachers on the football field. A lot of activity was going on. Students were done with tests and some were out on the field playing games in small groups. Thankfully, no one else was on the bleachers.

"Damilola, I need to tell you how I've been feeling about our friendship for sometime. I think it's been weeks that I've been burying my true feelings."

I paused. Dami was silent, her unusually coloured eyes glancing at me. She looked sincerely bemused.

"Let's sit first before we talk, okay?" I said.

She nodded, beaded braids flying around her head mildly.

We sat near the top of the bleachers, hoping to block out the cheers and excited chatter from the students on the large expanse of green grass below us.

"We're here," Dami spoke as soon as we sat on two of the seats closer to the left end of the bleachers. Her voice was calm, lacking worry. I almost smiled. I knew her beyond surface level. Damilola was very curious, very uncertain.