Chapter 36

I took a deep breath in and swallowed every bit of moisture I had in me.

I felt frozen. Not because of the cold weather outside of this truck I was stuck in with Cole but because of what he just said to me.

What did he mean? "I don't think I can do this?" Do what?

"Just breathe, Cole." I tried to calm him down.

Whatever he was thinking, it needed to be turned around.

"There's no way we're going to make it." Cole covered his face with his hands.

"What do you mean?" I asked trying to stay calm by myself.

"He's not going to stop coming after us. Even if he chooses not to follow us, he's going to be at the exit, and there's not another way out." Cole sighed heavily.

"Well..." I started. "Drive fast then." I turned to my right to put my seat belt on.

Cole looked at me confused. "Did you not just hear me?"

"I heard you." I started. "You think I'm giving  up now?" I looked him up and down.

He didn't reply.

"If we don't make it out, then we go down fighting. If we do...then we're free. I wouldn't have made it this far if I just gave up when someone got in my way." I looked to his seat belt to try and give him the hint to put it on.

"Yeah. You definitely didn't let anyone get in your way. If anything you used them to get farther." Cole huffed.

I scrunched my eyebrows. "Excuse me?"

"If you just would've stayed put your sister, that friend of yours...they'd still be here! I wouldn't be here with you right now! Zac wouldn't be trying to kill me!" Cole hit the steering wheel causing in to honk.

"Go to hell, Cole." I unbuckled my seat belt and placed my hand on the door handle to get out.

"No!" Cole told me while pushing the button to lock the entire car.

I looked at him. I watched his eyes as he scanned my body language. I let out a breath of hate.

Of course this is happening.

"Let me out." I stated.

He didn't reply.

"Let. Me. Out." I repeated myself.

"I shouldn't have said those things." He looked down.

Wow. Already changing his mind. The voices in his head must really be working over time.

"You're insane." I leaned forward to him. "You're sick, rotten, a horrible human being, and not to mention a fucking murderer." I spat at him. "For the remainder of this ride do not even say one single word about Sara or Katie. Got it?" I felt powerful. I had nothing to fear anymore. What was he gonna do, kill me too?

"I just apologized to you, watch your tone." Cole put on his serious voice.

I tiled my head and let out a chuckle. "You don't get it, do you?" I raised my eyebrows to him.

"Get what?" He asked.

"You don't have a chance out there...in the real world."

Cole looked away and outside of the windows. He gazed upon the snow and looked back to me.

"I know." He sighed and kept repeating under his breath.

COLE'S POV

Everything that has been going through my mind is replaying itself on loop.

All of my emotions were tangled together I couldn't tell what I was feeling.

Emily tried to get out of the truck and I stopped her, then yelled at her, and now I'm afraid she's going to make me loose my temper.

Only if she knew when to stop, I don't think I can control myself from what I might do I get angry enough.

"You don't get it, do you?" Emily spoke to me in a sarcastic tone.

"Get what?" I asked.

"You don't have a chance out there...in the real world."

She spoke the truth. I knew that I wouldn't have a chance outside of these woods, but Emily will. That's why I'm helping her. It's a fantasy of mine to live normally. Maybe I shouldn't. Maybe I should stay right where I am. Maybe so should Emily.

"I know." I looked to her and said. "I know, I know, I know." I took a deep breath in.

The voices filled my head and agreed with Emily. Of course they did. I wan't crazy? Right? I know the voices are really just my subconscious coming to me as my mom, and Faith. I'm not actually hearing...them. Am I?

"But you do." I told Emily.

I had to push the whispers aside and think for myself. I'm doing this for my mom, for Faith, to right all of the wrongs I've done. I'm going to finish it, if it's the last thing that I do. Even if I don't make it out of here. Emily will.

Emily's POV

"But you do" Cole sounded hopeful.

His roller coaster of emotions confused me and made me have my own theme park going on inside my head.

Was he back to normal? Or at least "normal" enough to get his head back in the game?

Cole reached behind him to put on his seat belt and nodded for me to do the same. I did.

Okay, I thought. Let's hope Cole's fragile brain can handle escaping this place. We don't have much longer to go now.