Chapter #16: Morning After

*Malachai's POV*

I hopped up to the window of my room at the bed & breakfast and climbed my way inside. Once in, I shut the window and flopped down onto the bed, running a hand through my hair. Everything from tonight began to play back in my head.

The people of Hemingford knew about Gatlin, for about a year now. It was kind of surprising to me that they didn't try to come and do away with us when they first heard the story. Then again, it was also a bit funny. It meant that they were afraid of us, so they let us be, and instead sent their own children to us. I wondered what Isaac chose to do with them when they arrived.

Isaac...I still couldn't believe that he was Katie's cousin...He'd never mentioned any family outside of Gatlin, so I always just assumed that they were all dead. And then...Katie's mother...

I'd killed her.

A sharp ripple shot up my back, making me flinch. Her mother's death was the one thing in Katie's life that made her sad, the reason that she had this hole in her heart...It was my fault...if I had never killed her, she'd be back here with her family and Katie wouldn't have a reason to be upset.

I ran my hands down my face, dragging the skin with it. The same throbbing in my heart beat in my chest as it had that day in the field, when I'd felt regret for killing my own parents. I now had it for murdering Katie's mom...Ugh...why did feeling remorse hurt so bad?

I shook my head and let out a heavy sigh. Sitting up on the bed, I tried to think about something else, anything really. And then...something did plant itself in my mind...

The stars in Katie's eyes, sparkling like the sun against water...the gentle smile she gave me...right before her soft lips pressed up against mine...

I bit my bottom lip subconsciously, my eyes staring at one particular spot on the floor as I concentrated on the memory. Katie's fingers brushing my face, the way she looked at me like I could do no wrong...a way no one ever looked at me.

Normally, people saw me and drew back in fear. I was always the scary one that people never wanted to be around and most of the time the feeling would be mutual. But not with Katie. No, I actually...really enjoyed being around her and she liked being around me. It was so different from what I was used to, but at the same time it felt like a weight was being pulled off of my shoulders.

I collapsed back on my back on the bed, thinking about when I would see her tomorrow. She'd more than likely be at the store. A smile slowly crept its way onto my mouth, the tingly feeling in my stomach coming back again too. I still had no idea what that meant, but it always happened when I thought about Katie and something good about her. It only got stronger then when I pictured kissing her in my mind again. This time it was enough to make me chuckle.

I shook my head of the thought and began to ready myself for bed. Tucking my arms behind the pillow, I nestled in to sleep with the night still fresh in my memory. As I dozed off, I decided that whatever I was feeling, I didn't exactly dislike it. I wanted more of it to be perfectly honest. Kissing Katie did something to me, something that made me want more of her. I didn't mean in the physical sense that involved sinning either.

I meant emotionally, I wanted more. To kiss her again, to sit and talk about stuff that I didn't know about so that she could tell me. To hear her laugh or her voice - whether she was singing or explaining something. To see her smile at me, see the way her eyes twinkle. To just have her in my company for longer.

With all of this swimming in my brain, my eyelids shuttered closed and I fell asleep.

*Katie's POV*

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Oct 28, 2020 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Sinner (Children of the Corn/Malachai)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें