Chapter 1

“Retrieve the twins and kill that witch.”

Her hair wildly danced in the crisp midnight air, an army hot on her tails. In her grasp two crying babies that refused to cease their outburst. There wasn't much she could do as she sprinted through the open lands, nothing but the moon guiding her steps. Tightly clenched in her fist a piece of paper.

“My babies, don’t worry. Mummy is going to get us out of here,” she said.

Before she could utter any more words of comfort, a beast appeared before her baring its teeth, paws thumping on the ground. Its eyes blood red, fur dark enough to camouflage in the peak of the night. It let out an ear-shattering roar as it stalked forward, forcing her back.

Scrambling to open the piece of the paper, she stumbled only to meet with something much worse than the beast ahead of her. Even with the cries of the babies in her hold and the growls of the creature, all she could hear were the calm footsteps crunching the burnt grass under them. Her heart was ferociously beating in her chest, cold sweat breaking at the back of her neck as the person approached her.

She was frozen in place. Her eyes shrunk when the person she wished to be the furthest from, appeared before her. His voice spite filled and dripping with poison. The moon shone above them, the grass stabbing at her feet with each step.

“Isabelle, the children.” His pale hand was outstretched, eyes fixated on her own.

“I’d rather die than give them to you.”

There was a stretch of silence as if everything had paused in time. The army having ceased, the beast now at the man's side.

“That can be arranged.”

With a snap of his finger, ice erupted from the ground. She was trapped in a prison of dagger-like icicles ready to slit her throat with the slightest movement.  

Eyes burning with passion and the crumpled paper now discarded, Isabelle took a step back. A dagger threatening her from behind shattering to pieces by the column of fire that shot up, forming a wall of fire around her.

With not a second to spare, she began reciting the words that had been scribbled onto the paper, her voice booming across the empty meadow causing a gust of wind to encircle her.

A laugh erupted from the other side of the firewall but she paid no heed to it, concentrating with her recitation. As she uttered the last of the spell, a hand-cut through the barrier clutching onto her arm before she disappeared into the night.

Nothing but the rose scent to remain.

*

"Summer break’s over; I can't wait to go back to school," Alex sighed, head thrown back against the couch back.

"Well, it was gonna end eventually. Everything good must come to an end after all. Plus we're seniors now so show a bit of enthusiasm," Josh said, shrugging in the process.

Heaving a breath, Alex pushed himself off the couch, dragging his body to the kitchen. Grabbing a can of soda from the fridge, his thoughts began to wonder. It was no secret that he was dreading school with every fiber in his being. The thought of walking down those stupid hallways or the incredulous amounts of homework that led to many long nights of coffee, and pain killers because nothing causes greater pain than trying to solve math problems. But the worst of it all was that bell, oh how it drove him mad.