xxiii. CHAPTER TWENTY

~*~
warnings: mature language

     Mary grabbed Alex by the collar, pulling him out of the car and throwing him on the ground. He shrieked through the duct tape over his mouth, Dustin standing up straight as he wiped the vomit from his mouth. 

     "Andrew, show this low life inside. Keep him tied to a chair or something," Mary instructed him, shutting the trunk to Steve's car. Andrew grabbed Alex by the ankles, dragging him towards the house. Mary looked to everyone else, then motioned for them to follow her in. They all entered the fixed up cabin, Andrew tying Alex to a chair while he was still gagged. He moved his mouth long enough and hard enough that the cloth finally fell from his lips. 

     "Mary Henderson, you and your weird ass friends have gone fucking insane!!" Alex screamed at her. "You kidnapped me, you bitch!" 

     "Nothing more from you," she said, flicking her hand slightly. The cloth rose to his lips again, Alex's eyes widening and his face writing fear and panic at whatever had just happened. "Where's Max?" 

     "Said she had some type of family dinner she couldn't get out of," Mike answered. "She said it was some guy who's friends with Billy. Didn't say much." 

     "Wait, some guy who said he's friends with Billy?" Mary asked, looking to Mike. "That's him, Deems." 

     "Who?" Andrew asked, walking around Alex and rolling up his sleeves. 

     "T-The boy that was with Olivia. Jackson! He's at Max's house right now," Mary said, grabbing Andrew by the shirt collar.

     "He's a commie?!" Dustin asked, eyes wide. "Oh, god. Oh, shit." 

     "We have to go get her," Robin spoke up. 

     "No shit, Sherlock. Okay, uh, Steve, you come with me. We're going to go check on Max. Everyone else wait here awhile and wait for the rest of the gang to show up," Mary said, beginning to walk to the front door. 

     "Rest of the gang?" Mike asked. "You called more people?" 

     "A final battle calls for a recall on everyone who was in the first fight. So, yes, Michael, I called back up. I think you're going to like it," she said, opening the front door. "Steve, let's go." He followed her out of the house, everyone watching the door shut in front of them. 

~*~

     The Impala stayed parked in front of the house on Cherry Oak Drive, Mary and Steve watching it as they waited for any signs of distress. It was silent between them, neither really knowing what to say to the other. 

     "So," Steve started, "nice weather, right?" 

     "You got a girlfriend yet?" Mary asked, shifting in her seat uncomfortably. Steve looked over in confusion, then looked forward again. 

      "Um, uh..." He trailed off, then cleared his throat from nerves. "I do, actually." 

     "Really?" Mary asked, a smile growing on her face. "What's her name?" 

     "Her name? Oh, uh, it's... It's-" 

     "Steve, I'm not going to hate her. I've been dead for two years. I couldn't possibly even remember her," Mary said with a small shrug. 

     "Okay, fine. It's Ashley," he said with a confident nod. 

     "Fucking Ashley?!" Mary yelled, turning to look at him.