xxxiv. CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

~*~
warning: mature language

     Alex was watching Billy, who was tied back up and going to stay that way. He had been silent since the incident, and so was everyone else. Mary was looking in the mirror in the bathroom, checking how bad the bruises were after Marley had examined them before leaving. 

     "How ironic is this?" Alex asked rhetorically. It was the first thing said in a hour or two. "How the tables have turned." 

     "Shut up," Mary said, her voice hoarse. 

     "I wouldn't recommend talking. Something I would recommend, though, is going to the doctor," he said, stepping back from the counter. "Because that looks bad, and that little bundle of joy probably needs to be checked on after that." Mary glared at him again, but turned and walked to the keys by the door. "Uh, no, you're not driving. I'll call Harrington." 

     "Would you look at that? Gold cares for once," Billy remarked. 

     "At least he's not shitting on you," Alex said with a shrug. Mary crossed her arms, looking over to Billy as her eyes narrowed. "Anyways, Marley said if anything else happens that we should call Hopper." 

     "Because he can do so much now that he's not the Chief," Billy said, scoffing at his own words. Mary rolled her eyes, going to the kitchen to get water to take the pain killers she'd found. She popped them in her mouth, drinking as Billy watched her. "Hey, maybe if you weren't so gullible and manipulative your neck wouldn't be a problem right now. Should've just let me finish." 

     "Shut up!" Mary screamed, her voice breaking. She turned to face Billy, hands glowing from anger. "God, just shut the fuck up!" 

     He stared at her, both the boys surprised at her outburst. She turned and rushed out of the cabin, slamming the door on her way out. She walked down the steps, taking deep breaths as she just hurt. She shut her eyes, grabbing her stomach to not hurt herself or cry too hard. She slowly regained her calmness, looking down to her stomach. 

     "We can make it through, all right? It's going to be a bumpy ride, darling." She smiled slightly, breathing out as the world was calm now. She forgot about how much her neck hurt, and only stayed in the peaceful moment. 

~*~
One Week Later

     Mary opened the front door to the cabin, barely paying attention to the tied up Billy in the living room. She sorted through the mail, Alex moving out of her way with Billy's food in his hands. She set aside the hospital bills to pay later, then turned and grabbed her medicine. As it turns out, nearly suffocating did do something minor. But it was fixed with medication very easily. She was on it for another week, and then she was home free. 

     "Steve stopped by," Billy announced. 

     "Yeah, what'd he say?" Mary asked, sitting at the kitchen table. 

     "Not much. Just dirty looks and being short with me," Billy said. He shook his head at the food Alex placed in front of him. 

     "Can't blame him," Mary mumbled. "Alex, you can head home. I'll take care of him." 

     "You sure?" Alex asked. "I can stay-" 

     "Gold, go home," Mary said more forcefully. He just nodded once, standing and going to the front door. "Uh, for now you can go back to your life. I'll call you if I need you, but you're good to go." Alex nodded at her, pulling his coat up his arms. 

     "So we're done?" he asked. 

     "Don't make this a break up. Get out of my house," Mary said. Alex nodded again, then turned and walked out. Mary walked around the couch, grabbing a chair and pulling it up next to Billy. She turned on the TV, letting whatever channel was playing go. 

     "What are you doing?" Billy asked. 

     "Uh, we are watching TV. You hungry?" Mary asked. "I'm starving." 

     "No, I meant, why are you spending time with me?" he asked. She sighed, leaning forward and turning the TV back off. Mary took a second to think about her words, then looked over at Billy. 

     "I'm going to sing," she said. 

     "Please don't," Billy said. 

     "And you're gonna like it," she continued. Mary stood and walked to the piano against the wall, resting her fingers on the keys. "Any requests?" 

     "Oh, yeah, how about nothing?" 

     "Can't Help Falling in Love it is," Mary smiled. She turned and began playing the song, Billy watching her fingers work up and down the keys. His heart pounded as he watched her, and he didn't know what was happening. Listening to her sing, watching her play. It made him feel something inside that he had suppressed. Or, rather, it had been suppressed for him. But it was slowly coming back. 

     She finished singing, and her hands lifted from the keys. She turned and stood, clearing her throat as she walked into the kitchen. She poured one drink, then turned and walked back to Billy. She set the drink down in front of him, then sat next to him again. She drank her water, then leaned back and looked at Billy. He stared at her, then nodded to the drink. 

     "I can't drink it when my hands are behind my back," he said. 

     "Hm, maybe they wouldn't be like that if you hadn't tried to strangle me," Mary said, sighing as she leaned her head on the arm of the couch. "The suns going down soon. Means that stars will be out." 

     "Yeah, so?" Billy asked. Mary frowned at the ceiling, picking up her head to look at him. 

     "So, we're going to go sit outside and look at them," Mary told him. "Enjoy the nature." Billy rolled his eyes, going limp in his chair. Mary stood and went to the kitchen, grabbing a straw. She walked back over and put it in his drink, then sat on the couch again. "Now, drink up. I can't imagine Alex has been giving you anything to drink." Billy kept quiet, and only sipped on the alcohol. Mary sighed as she was thinking about her plans. How she was going to do this in a good amount of time that he'd still be able to help her through this pregnancy. 

     "Are you going to turn the TV back on?" he asked. Mary looked over, then nodded slightly at him. She leaned forward and pushed the button, then sat on the couch again. They were quiet with each other for a while, Mary glancing at Billy every so often. Eventually she gave up and just watched the screen, trying not to think too hard about him. 

      But Billy would look at her and not be able to look away. There was a part of him that hated hating her, and he would let that part in sometimes. He would look at her and remember why he fell in love with her all over again. But the hate would come back, and he'd look away and remember the reasons Jackson gave him to really hate Mary. 

     "One, she left you for Alexander Gold. Who's to say she won't do it again." 

     "Two, she left you alone. She died to save you, but that just killed you inside." 

     "Three, she could be lying at anytime, and you'll never know when. Be careful, Billy. Mary is a manipulative woman, and you have fallen for her hard." 

-----

y'all thought i died didn't you??

NOPE!!! I'M HERE BITCHES!!!
THE FINAL CHApTERS ARE ACTUALLY COMING NOW!!!!

i've officially paused all other projects 
and i'm completely devoted to mary and billy

get prepared for a ride. 

also, there aren't enough words that describe
how sorry i am for leaving you for this long
a lot happened all at once, and even before that i was inconsistent
i hope you can forgive me and i'm finally going to give you
the content that you all deserve 

i hope you enjoyed, angels :)