Chapter 6

Sirens, Cher Lloyd

Quote;

We always seem to take
The little things for granted.

Chapter 6.

     I pick at the fries on my tray and begin to eat one after the other in a precise, slow fashion. Glancing up at Kareem, eyebrows raised, he gestures to my plate. I avert my eyes from his and dip the fries in ketchup, keeping my eyes on the tray. I hate to have people watch me eat.

     "Where you going?" He asks, wiping sauce off of Michelle's chin.

     Frowning, I chew on another fry, shrugging. "I don't - I don't know what you mean."

    "Your trashbag, your clothes in it."

     "Oh."

     "Where you headed?"

     "My friend is letting me move in with her she uh, she and I are gonna be roommates." I respond, fiddling with my fingers.

     Friends, yeah right, like I've ever had those.

     He nods, lips pursed. "Right, well, I can always take you there after we're done here. Where do they live?"

     "Th-"

     "Uh oh, daddy look!" Michelle cries out, pointing at the spilled barbecue sauce.

     Reaching over Kareem wipes it away with the napkin and tilts the sauce upright. She claps her hands together, her foot kicking the table. Unable to stop myself from smiling at her, Michelle returns it before digging into her nuggets once again.

     "How old is she?" I ask, finishing the last of my fries.

      He beams, "She'll be three in a little under four months from now."

     "She's cute."

     "I know, she takes after me."

     Allowing a tiny smile to break through, I take a small bite of the burger. Kareem continues to eat his apple pie, seemingly forgetting all about his previous question. I look over at Michelle, who's fixated on the toy inside of her box.

    "What um, what do you do?"

     He stuffs the empty box back into the bag, "I work as a bartender."

     "Do you like it?"

     "It pays the bills. I'm currently looking for a job in construction. What do you-"

     "How long have you worked as a bartender?" I question, taking a sip from my drink, wincing at the sound of Michelle repeatedly hitting her toy against the table.

     "Two years now. Are you finished?"

     "With what?"

     He chuckles, nodding towards my tray. "Your food."

     "Oh y-yeah!" I respond, quickly grabbing ahold of my trash.