Prologue (Daddy Unknown)

Emelia King watched her with wide eyes and her mouth agape, as if her daughter had magically sprouted an extra head. No words were escaping her usually chatty lips as she sat in the recliner. Looking like the epitome of complete, and utter astonishment.

"You want to, what?"

Pinching the bridge of her nose, Moira sighed in distress. This was exact reaction she'd been afraid of receiving. "You can't blame me, mom." She rushed out defensively, "Relationships and I just don't work together."

"But you're still so.. so young."

"I'm not going to wait for prince Charming to show up. So whether you'll support me or not, I'm going through with this."

Her mother sat back for a moment, observing the determined expression crossing her girl's face. "A child is a big step, sweetheart. Are you sure you're ready to handle the responsibility?"

Moira heaved a sigh, "If you can do it, so can I."

"Don't take me as an example, young lady. You know it's been tough-"

"Mom, please don't..." She trailed off, not wanting to hear her mother talk herself down like she tended to. Knowing she shouldn't have brought up the subject of her father, a small amount of guilt settled in the pit of her stomach.

Emelia got lost in a reverie, contemplating whether or not she should try and change her daughter's mind. Eventually, she decided against it. Like herself, Moira was determined. Perhaps even a little too determined. Once something got stuck -and locked- inside her head, it had no way of ever finding the key and freeing itself.

Their evening had begun so peacefully, never in her right mind had she expected a turn out like this. The conversation went from how thing's were going at work, to having a sperm donor's baby. A major transition from what she was used to hearing.

"Alright, what's the plan then? Have you found any clinics yet? Are you emotionally prepared to have a baby? And what about work?"

Knowing her mom's practical way of thinking, she'd taken the liberty of preparing herself. Her lips sank into a victorious, self assured smile as she replied, "I've been in contact with a clinic, I'm as ready as I can be, hell, I even hired a personal trainer. Work is easy to arrange, and I've set aside a couple of thousands in case things go wrong. I've picked out names for both genders, I've bought a bunch of books, and have read half of them already. I finished painting the nusery a couple of days ago, since I won't be able to do that once I'm pregnant because of the fumes."

There was a momentary silence.

"You really want this, don't you?" Her mother spoke slowly.

By then, Moira's vision had become slightly blurry. "I really, really do."

Emelia broke into a bright smile, happy tears rolling down her own cheeks, "I'm so proud of you for taking your life in own hands, Moira Mae."

With a giggle, Moira flew from her spot in the recliner and wrapped her arms around her mother's neck. Feeling excited and relieved with the given reaction. There was one person in her life whose opinion mattered to her, and now that she had her approval. Moira couldn't help but see her future in a more positive light.

All that was left to do now, was find a suitable donor.