Gotta Get Back To Hogwarts

The sultry summer air crept in the window with all its usual expectations. Hermione had felt the sticky heat of a dying summer from the window of the Hogwarts Express six times before and every time it had felt wild and intoxicating in everything it promised. This year, however, it felt oppressive, as if the promise held more pressure than hope.

"Hey, Ginny! Hey, Hermione!" Dean Thomas strode into their previously empty compartment. "Wasn't sure I'd see you this year Hermione. Ron and Harry here too?" He asked anticipatorily.

"No. They decided not to come back to Hogwarts. They're both starting Auror training with the Ministry," Hermione replied. She was barely able to conceal her disapproval that the boys had used their fame to get out of their last year at Hogwarts. She couldn't blame the Ministry for allowing it, but it felt like cheating to her. There wasn't any excuse for cutting corners, war heroes or not.

C'mon Hermione, we're shoo-ins. We're the most famous people in the country right now. Even if you don't want to be an Auror, you could get any job you wanted! What are we going to get out of another year dozing off in History of Magic? Ron had asked her during one of their many fights on the subject. Hermione was aghast that he could feel this way, and more so that he thought she should agree with him.

"I can't lie and say I'm not jealous that they don't even have to take their N.E.W.T.'s and they already have jobs most people have to fight over. But of course, the Ministry can hardly say they're not qualified, now can they? Not after all the three of you have done," Dean said with a jovial laugh. "Wonder that you came back without them Hermione, but you always were the good one." Before Hermione had time to reply, someone shouted, "Dean!" from down the train and with a "Catch you later," he was gone.

Ginny could see that Hermione was annoyed with what Dean had said. "Hey, don't listen to him, Hermione. I think it's great that you've come back. I would have been lonely without you."

Hermione smiled gratefully at her friend. "Thanks, Ginny," she said as she tried to push thoughts of Ron's remarks out of her head.

Not minutes later, another familiar face poked itself into their compartment. "Hello Ginny, Hermione, may I join you?" Luna asked. She looked just as delirious and delectably out of place as always.

"Of course, Luna," Ginny said, sliding towards the window to make room for Luna.

"How was your summer?" Hermione asked.

"Oh, it was very busy. As Hermione knows, the house was all but destroyed last year, so there was plenty of work to rebuild. We made progress, but Dad will still have to finish up while I'm at school this year." Luna said all of this plainly as if it caused her no pain, but it made Hermione flinch at the memory and Ginny squirmed slightly with discomfort.

"Well, that's wonderful that you've made progress," Ginny said and tried to divert the conversation to something more pleasant. "It's going to be strange having Hermione in the same year as us this time around. Guess there goes any hope of being top of the class," Ginny joked.

Luna smiled faintly and said, "Are Harry and Ron back as well?" She looked around her as if they might have been hiding under a seat all this time and she simply hadn't noticed.

"No, they're both working at the Ministry now... Auror training" Hermione said. She was sensing that this would be an incessant question for the first few days of classes.

"That's nice, I suppose," Luna said unenthusiastically. Luna thought little of most organizations so it wasn't shocking that she found Ministry jobs relatively unimpressive. Hermione found Luna's blasé attitude towards the boy's path refreshing. So far, she was the only person who hadn't looked at her as if she was mad to be here. Although, Hermione wasn't sure how much of a relief it was to find out Luna was the only one here who found her sane.

***

Hermione walked into Hogwarts with trepidation. You can't go home again, or so they say. She worried that the sentiment might prove true. After all, the Hogwarts that she was entering was so very changed from the one that she had left. But as the evening's traditions played out one by one, she realized that her home had changed, but it was still her home.

"What does your day look like tomorrow?" Ginny asked as she unpacked her overstuffed trunk into her wardrobe.

"Oh, I have double Potions first thing in the morning and Ancient Runes after that. Then in the afternoon, I have Herbology," Hermione rattled off without even glancing at her schedule.

Ginny raised her eyebrows in amusement and picked up Hermione's schedule to see for herself. "Well, you've certainly kept yourself busy, that's for sure." Hermione smiled and snatched her schedule back. "Between Quidditch and N.E.W.T. s I doubt I'll be getting any sleep this year either."

"I'm sure you'll manage," Hermione said supportively.

"Here's hoping," Ginny said with a laugh. After a moment's silence, Ginny asked, "Is it strange for you to be back?"

"A bit. But really, it feels like I never left, which is strange in and of itself," Hermione said truthfully.

"It seems odd that life just goes on after it all, but I suppose it always does," Ginny said with accepting honesty. "Well, I'll at least start out this year by getting a goodnight's sleep. Goodnight Hermione."

***

Dear Hermione,

I can pretty much guarantee that Ron and I won't write as often as you'd like us to this year, but I'm at least going to start off right. We're leaving in two days for London to settle in and then the Ministry the day after that. I'm not sure what I should expect at this point.

Ron is clearly more nervous than he's letting on and getting pretty annoyed with Mrs. Weasley for fussing over all the details. Between the two of them, it's quite a show at the Burrow.

It feels a bit like going to Hogwarts for the first time really. Same as back then, I'm not very sure what I'm getting myself into and I just hope that I don't have to wrestle a troll.

Hope your first day goes well. Say hello to McGonagall for me!

Harry

Hey Hermione!

Sorry mine's a day later than Harry's, it's been crazy around here. Honestly, I think Mum might have a fit checking everything and then checking again. You'd think we were going to the moon instead of London. I keep telling her that it'll be fine, it's only training after all, but you know Mum.

Anyway, I'll write to tell you everything about London as soon as we're there.

Since you probably want the exact opposite from me out of this extra year, I hope they give you lots of homework and all of your classes are impossibly difficult!

Love,
Ron