Humans pt2

As the guests dined in my absence, I spent the remainder of the evening in my office. My work helped to distract me from the intruding scent of humans.

"You didn't have to do that, Ms. Ruth". I rub my temples, eyeing the tray of food she snuck in. Perhaps hoping I wouldn't notice until she left.
She stopped in her tracks, shuddering with fear at the sound of my voice. As if I caught her stealing. "S-Sorry". She throws her head down into a deep bow. "I j-just assumed -since you weren't with the guests- that maybe you would prefer if I brought it to you instead".

"Ms. Ruth-"

"Yes, I'm sorry milord, I- I'll return it". She jumps as I said her name. Her shaky hands reach for the tray that she set on a decorative end table. A piece of furniture I meant to throw away a long time ago. Along with the horrible set of chairs next to them. The silken teal green fabric of them never sat well with me. It clashed with much of everything else furnishing my study. Why I was remembering this now is beyond me. Perhaps I'll tell Adam to do it. That'll get it done. I decide.

"Ms. Ruth". I say a little louder.

She halts her actions, her hands hovering near the tray. "Yes, milord?" Ruth straightens herself, standing the way I taught her to.

"It's alright. You can leave it there, Ms. Ruth". I tell her before turning my attention back to the work on my desk. Her retreating steps were all I heard after she dismissed herself. Saying another 'Yes milord'.

I let out a sigh, silently wishing the Gods would relieve me of my curse. So that maybe, I'd have a chance to lead a normal life. I shook away the thought quickly. Scolding myself for even wanting that.

"Never pray to the Gods". My mind recalls Mother's warning. "They are incapable of love, of mercy, and of kindness".

My focus returned to the work awaiting on my desk. Ignoring the heavy feeling that grew in my chest. However, my pen hardly touched the paper when my stomach growled in protest.

Gotta eat something before I lose control.

"This foolishness must end at once!" Mother proclaims as she enters unannounced. The second I pick a piece of toast from the tray and bring it to lips.

Can't even enjoy a decent meal in my own house. I groan internally, setting my meal aside. "Yes. Come in Mother". I mutter sarcastically under my breath.

I'm never sarcastic. Huh... what a weird day.

"I have waited too long". Mother went on. "It's highly uncivilized for you to sit in here while your future wife and her family dine as guest in your hall". She declares. "Can't you see? They want to meet you, Logan".

"Ahem". Another figure slips from behind Mother.

"Why do you interrupt us?" Mother glares at my butler, Adam. Who keeps his head down. Never daring to look either of us in the eye.

"Forgive me, Duchess. Forgive me, Milord". Adam bows to us in turn. "The Lady Aria is right outside the door".

I stiffen. This human girl is a bold one.

"Send her away". My eyes narrow as I voice my decision to refuse her.

Bold, but not too bright. She has no idea what she's getting into. Entering a serpent's den.

"Send her in". Mother tells Adam, after my back is turned.

"Mother". I hiss, finding it hard to control my appetite. The hunger formed painful twisted knots in my gut that made me want to go feral. "N-Now is not the time". Is all I could say.