49) Painful Decisions

Meanwhile, in a dark, eerily quiet, and empty house, a blonde man spoke to his daughter.

"Artemis," he said, his voice powerful in the quiet home, a speck of excitement evident in his tone, "I think now is the perfect opportunity for you to prove your worth to me and everyone who will be watching."

Artemis placed her bow and arrow on the dining room table as she looked at her father, attempting to conceal her unease as best as she could. "What do you mean?"

Lawrence eyed the weapons lying on the table as he spoke, "as you already know, Batman's got a little sidekick. Turns out, there's another new hero out there, too. She's got a similar costume as the Bat, but I can't be certain if she's working with him."

Artemis listened quietly, her eyebrows drawn together despite her effort to appear indifferent.

"You know, she looks your age. The bird boy even younger," Lawrence mentioned, his gaze flickering to meet his daughter's.

Her heart skipped a beat. Where was he getting at?

As if reading her mind- or perhaps her expression, as she wasn't doing a very good job of keeping a poker face- he smirked. It was subtle, but Artemis knew that look. He had something planned, and he knew she wouldn't like it.

"I'll get to the point," he said and gestured at the bow and arrow. "You've been training and getting better at combat and archery everyday. It isn't for nothing. Look, those kids are the perfect opponents for you to show what you're capable of. I want you to get rid of them."

Artemis's eyes widened. "What? No! No way, I'm not doing your dirty w-"

Lawrence's suddenly gaze became cold, and his words sharp. "Shut up. I'm tired of having this discussion with you every time you have a mission to complete. You're going to become an assassin whether you like it or not. You're going to kill the two pipsqueak heroes. And you're going to show The Light that I have been training my daughter to be powerful and strong- just like me."

The girl clenched her fists and glared at him. With a furious passion, she lowly spat, "I'll never be like you."

Lawrence only rolled his eyes, his face still stern. "Don't be so dramatic. You don't like it now, but you'll realize how gratifying it all is one day. Why be restricted by the law? You can have and do everything you want. We're strong, Artemis. Don't waste it."

"It's not just about the law, dad!" Artemis yelled. "It's about morals! It's about doing what's right! I hate knowing I have a criminal for a dad! I hate you! I hate thinking about all the people you've hurt or killed! And now you want me to do the same?! To heroes who haven't even done anything to you?! I won't kill! Ever! I will never be like-"

She hit the floor with a thump.

Her cheek stung from what she already knew was a slap.

"Shut your damn mouth, Artemis. Shut it. I don't give it a shit if you hate me. I already know you do. The only fucking thing I care about is you making me look good for The Light. And you will do that because guess what?" He asked. Artemis up looked fearfully at the man now hovering over him.

He didn't bother waiting for a response. "Because you have to. I'm in charge. Not you. You have no one else to go to, anyways. Your mom is rotting in jail, your sister ditched, and your little friends already forgot all about you."