51) Futile Struggle

Stuff's about to get wild.

"Okay, so if I show you my identity, you'll show me yours, right? Batgirl questioned for the second time that day.

Robin nodded, glancing up at Batman from the floor that they were sitting on even though: one, he had already given them his permission, and two, he wasn't focused on them. He was working on a file or something. Robin wasn't sure. "Batman, don't you want to see Batgirl show us her secret identity?"

In a monotonous voice, the man replied with, "I already know her identity."

Batgirl sputtered. "What?! You're lying!...Right?"

"No, Barbara."

Robin's eyes widened and his jaw slackened. "You're- you're Barbara? I- of course you are! It's so obvious! How didn't I know! The red hair! And spunk! But.. when?! And why!? How!!?"

Batgirl slumped. "So much for the dramatic reveal... Thanks a lot, Batman," She grumbled before taking off her mask. Barbara raised a brow at Robin's shocked expression. "So, like, do you know me or something?"

Robin ripped of his mask, exposing his bare face. It was Barbara's turn to look surprised. "Dick?"

Dick immediately scooted closer to her and held her hands as his wide, blue eyes bore into her own. "You've been... a hero all this time. Too," he said in disbelief. "You... for how long?"

"Just a little before you met me," the redhead responded. "Well, before you met Batgirl. Oh gosh, you've been Robin all along. I- I'm so stupid."

Despite the shock still prevalent, Dick cracked a smile and huffed a laugh. "If you're stupid, then what am I?"

Barbara shook her head softly. "It was so obvious... What a crazy coincidence that we're both heroes. That crazy." She looked at Batman. "So who's— No. No freaking way."

Batman turned around slightly to look at her and smiled, the look mischievous.

Batgirl looked like a fish with the way her mouth was opening and closing. "You're— you're... BRUCE WAYNE?!"

Dick clutched his sides and laughed hard. Batman, his voice no longer gruff, simply answered, "yep."

Barbara was silent for a moment before bursting into laughter as well.

Batman watched the two children crack up, unsure what was so funny, and turned back to the large computer, his lips still twitched upwards slightly.

"Batman, The Dark Knight, is Bruce Wayne, the billionaire playboy," Barbara commented as she wiped a tear from her eye. "I don't know who I thought Batman would be, but I definitely never thought he'd be my best friend's rich dad."

"Your face," Dick mentioned, a grin still visible on his face. "It was so funny."

Barbara playfully rolled her eyes. "You're one to talk. You should've seen the look on your face when-"

"Shh," Batman sharply hushed. "Put on your masks; I'm getting a call."

The two heroes obeyed quietly. The smile on their faces quickly vanished from the tone of his voice. They got up and watched the computer screen curiously.

"A little space, please," Batman muttered before clicking something. Batgirl and Robin inched away from him.

Suddenly a man popped up in the screen. "Hey, Batman. Sorry for the late notice but I wanted to ask you if you've heard anything about Gorilla Grodd?"

"Really, Barry? No mask?" Batman scolded.

Barry rubbed his neck sheepishly. "I thought it was just going to be the two of us. You already know I'm the Flash, anyways. Don't they?"