50) Spying Around

"Oh gosh, Robin," Batgirl breathed as she dropped to her knees to examine to young hero currently lying on the round. She exhaled in relief when she saw his chest move. "Are you okay?"

No response. Robin remained still, his back on the ground and his head lolled slightly to the side.

"You better not be knocked out," the redheaded girl muttered frustratedly under her breath. She grabbed Robin by the shoulders and shook him in an attempt to wake him up. He remained unconscious.

Batgirl sighed. "Sorry for this," she said, mainly to herself, before backhanding Robin on the cheek. The targeted area of skin quickly flushed red.

Robin stirred. "Mngh," he groaned as he brought his fingers up to his cheek, feeling the fresh spark of pain that had woken him up. He looked up as he observed Batgirl, his mind probably cloudy.

Memories of what had just happened must've quickly flooded back because suddenly, his breath hitched and he became tense. "Wha- where-" he attempted to question as he looked around, his voice filled with confusion and panic. "Did she escape? Are you okay?"

Batgirl put a hand on Robin's shoulder. "Hey, relax. She's gone- ran off after I gave her a good kick to the face. Anyways," she said, "I should be asking you if you're okay."

Robin nodded and said," I'm fine. She hit me hard, and I hit my head on the ground. I must've blacked out for a moment there." He got up to his feet. It involved a little swaying, but he steadied himself. "And you?"

The female hero shrugged and also got up. "My head was hit, too. A headbutt to be exact. Then I also hit the ground. She sure likes doing that to people, huh?"

Robin titled his head to the side a bit, examining her. "Uh-huh. If we ever see her again, we should definitely bring helmets. It would definitely- oh. Oh, Batgirl, you're bleeding," he informed her quickly, concerned. He felt his utility belt. "Dang it. It don't have any first aid kit stuff on me now."

"It's okay," Batgirl insisted as she put pressure on the bloody spot on the back of her head. "It's not bleeding as much anymore."

This'll be a pain to wash off my hair, she thought dreadfully.

"I'm going to contact Batman right now," Robin stated. He took a small, black device from his belt, clicked something, and said to it, "Batman, this is Robin. Please respond."

Not even five seconds later, Batman replied, "what happened?"

"We were attacked by a- an assassin? Villain? I don't know. She tried to kill us," Robin explained. "She got away. We're mainly okay, but Batgirl and I were injured and could use some first aid help."

"I'm already on my way," Batman said to Batgirl's surprise.

Robin said thanks and put the device away. With a quiet sigh, he sat on the curb on the road, nearby the jewelry store. Batgirl joined him.

"So... after I blacked out, what exactly happened?" Robin asked.

Batgirl swallowed. She was hesitant to answer. If she told him about how she was a breath away from death, she would be admitting her weakness. He wouldn't take her seriously, nor would Batman.

Then again, Robin had been unconscious for a few minutes, so if he had had his own moment of weakness, then it was understandable for her to have one, too, right?

That wasn't the only reason she was debating on telling the truth, though. She was conflicted about how she felt about this assassin. She wanted to hate her- and she sorta did- but not as much as she should. She wasn't exactly sure how she felt. The girl seemed... familiar.