Four

Detention dragged on forever. It was as if the clock had stopped altogether. I wanted to do something fun, like talk about my life, but Deryn refused to speak to me.

Secretly, I think he still hates me and all this nice stuff is part of some other plan of his, but I did punch him in the face and get him detention so... "One more hour." Someone whispered. It was 3:30. Fairy school started in half an hour. If Mr. B didn't let me out I'd be half a fairy in half an hour. He hadn't even let me change, so I already looked like half a fairy. Soon I would just be, a human? I shivered and tried to get my mind off that horrible thought by whispering to my soulmate. "Deryn are you still giving me the silent treatment?" I needed a distraction and he was the only one I knew in this stupid room. "What do you want?" It still amazed me how incredibly rude he was. "I just wanted to talk, but if you're going to be rude..." He sighed. "What do you want to talk about?" He was much more polite this time. "You are a terrible soulmate, I mean so am I, but you aren't even making an effort." Deryn closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. "What do you think I should do then?" I hadn't gotten that far in my planning. "Well you could tell me about yourself?" To my surprise he nodded.

I decided to sit on my desk with my legs crossed and my hands in my lap, in order to listen. He didn't wait for me to get situated, he just started. "I'm next in line to be alpha of the legendary Adalwolf pack." Wow my soulmate was an alpha, or at least going to be. "I have three sisters and four brothers. I am the oldest." He rolled his eyes when I raised my hand. "Yes, Aurelia?" He didn't say "what", we were making progress. "Will I get to meet them one day?" He shrugged. "Maybe." My question had been a trick, of course I'd get to meet his siblings, and by him saying maybe, it made me suspicious. I raised my hand again. "Jimothy, you have a question?" Jimothy had to be another werewolf, he just looked like a werewolf, probably apart of Deryn's pack. He swung his mop of dirty blonde hair out of his face before speaking. "Dude, why can't she meet the youngsters, are you hiding something?" Jimothy was my new best friend. "That's none of your business." Deryn growled. "But it is mine." Deryn turned on me with a look of pure hatred. I jumped off the desk and stood a safe distance away. He realized his mistake and his face softened, but his eyes told the whole story. "Ellie, what's wrong?" My head shook violently. "It's Aurelia to you!" He stood up, I stepped back. "Aurelia Ravensage?" I turned at my name to see two big fairy guys standing at the door to detention. "What did she do?" I asked. "We're here about your father, Wilton Ravensage." All eyes were on me. "What happened, is he alright?" The two gestured for me to follow them outside.

"What's going on?" The fairies glanced at each other before looking directly into my golden eyes. "Your father has been attacked, by werewolves." My knees wobbled. "Will he be okay?" They shook their heads. "It isn't looking so good, he lost a lot of blood, more than fairy dust can replenish." No no no. Not my dad.
"Why did they do this?"
"The werewolves in custody say they were ordered by their master, they wouldn't say more than that." Who could send anyone out to attack some innocent fairy. "Can I see him?" Tears were starting to blur my vision. "Yes you can." "Let me get my stuff and tell Mr. B." The fairies nodded. "We'll be right here."
********
My mate walked back in class crying. I used my werewolf hearing to listen to what she was telling our bloodsucking principal. Something about her dad being attacked by werewolves. According to the fairy guys he wasn't doing to well. My guys had done it. They had attacked that Winton fairy. The one that had tried to put my family out of power so long ago and continued to try until this day.

Winton and some of his friends had somehow found out about some of the rituals our family practiced to stay on top and tried to report us to the elders. My dad hadn't done much but make a deal with Winton and his colleagues in which they promised to stay out of our business if we stayed out of theirs but Winton never gave up. I saw him always sneaking around our property and every time I told my parents they would say he promised not to report us. Fairies always stuck their pretty heads where they didn't belong and my father never did anything about it. That would all change once I became alpha. Going after Aurelia's father was me testing the waters of my soon limitless power. Aurelia looked over at me with scared eyes. She really thought that I had attacked her father. 

It was true, but I couldn't let her believe that—she'd end up talking to the elders about me. It was time to play the concerned soulmate. "Aurelia why are you crying?" Mr. B was watching us carefully as he had been earlier. He would only step in when things got violent. "I have to go." She tried to run but I grabbed her wrist and gently pulled her to me. At least I thought it was gentle. "Tell me or I'm going with you." Her eyes spilled over and I didn't know what to do. When my sisters cried my mom handled them. My mom wasn't here and no one else in the room seemed to know what to do with the crying fairy in my arms. "Don't cry, it'll be alright, I'm here." She cried louder. What did I say?

Bane was trying to cover his ears to no avail. Rub her back, girls love that kind of stuff. Aurelia did not like to have her back rubbed, in fact, she pushed me into a desk and ran off the moment my palm landed between her wings.

I was so angry I punched the desk she'd pushed me into until it was dust. "Watch yourself Adalwolf, destroying school property gets you more detention." Now go finish her dad off. Bane knew just what to say sometimes. "Mr. B I'm going with her, she needs me." Mr. B didn't look so convinced. "You have less than an hour left, you can wait until then." He pointed to my seat. When I became alpha I wouldn't have to go through disrespect from bloodsuckers or anyone. With that thought I took my seat like a good pup. "You have no idea what you've done Mr. B." The vamp laughed. "I've been alive for a hundred years..." But he wouldn't make it a hundred more.