ONE

Subin and Naeun have been sitting at the café for at least thirty minutes. Silently. And occasionally sipping on their lattes.Naeun probably had already taken at least a hundred of selcas while killing time. Once in a while, she peaks up from her phone only to see her boyfriend's fingers move vigorously on his landscape-positioned phone. Games. Naeun checks the time: 4.55pm, about time. Subin puts down his phone after checking the time, finally ready to spare his girlfriend some attention. Five minutes. The thought flashes through both of their minds. Subin gets up form his seat, grabs his drink in his left hand, while he throws his right arm up in the air for a stretch. He finishes what was left in his cup. Subin smiles at his girlfriend, and walks across the table, props his left arm on the edge of the table and rests his right hand on Naeun's head.

"Look at this, my Naeun looks so pretty."

Subin compliments Naeun while looking at her screen. She has uploaded three selcas onto her Instagram. Naeun nods. Her smooth hair gets laced into Subin's fingers in the meantime. Naeun remains silent, she swipes the screen to show her boyfriend her latest Instagram. Last five minutes. The caption reads. Subin fails to notice the line. The line that detates the ending. 4.58pm. The time at shows on the top left corner of the screen.

"Subin ah..."

Naeun pauses. Silence again. Naeun prepares herself. You only have two minutes left. She reminds herself.

"Shall we take a break?"

Naeun looks up, gently smiling. She knows Subin likes when she smiles.

"What is it, Naeun?"

Subin cannot register. Break? What break? What do you mean break? ... wait... break? Naeun remains silent just long enough for Subin to work out his thoughts. Having been together for 3 years, she knew just how long her boy needs to figure out what she means. She is patient. She has always been.

"Let's not see each other for a while." Naeun says, her smile fades slightly.

Subin's brows lock to the middle. How can he imagine the words he just heard. He never thought of a single life. He never prepared himself to face such a situation as he had never imagined breaking from Naeun. It has been three years and he is only familiar to Naeun's presence. Her soft words, her smile, her scent.

"Subin ah- It's 5 o'clock soon-" Seungjun calls from behind the counter.

Naeun takes the call as an indication that it is time for her to go. She stands, picking her handbag as she does so. Her hand lifts naturally, wanting to wave goodbye. She hesitates, and drops her hand back to hold her handbag.

"Let's take a break, take care, Subin."

Those were the last soft words Naeun left the quiet Subin before she bows at Seungjun at the bar and walks out the café.

Seungjun, seeing that Subin has no intention of going to punch in his attendance card, does it in his stead. The elder then makes his way to the young man, still standing at the table.

"Hey what's up with you." Seungjun says as he pats Subin's back.

"Nothing... uh- No I need to think..."

Subin mumbles as he collects the empty glasses from the table he and Naeun just shared, and brings them to the sink behind the bar. The water runs in the sink, hitting the titanium sink, missing the glass just by a bit, but Subin doesn't seem to notice. Seungjun enters the kitchen in a while, as he hears that the water has not stopped running.

"What's the matter Suub?" Seungjun asks as he turns the tap off.

"I'm not so sure, hyung. Let me think."