[ seven ]

WASHINGTON D

WASHINGTON D.C.
america

____________________________

CORTEZ

I AM not typically a nice person. I can admit that to you. And I think we can all agree with that.

I never really cared for people other than myself, or my family. I never really had a reason to. I grew up in world where people climbed on others to get to the top. And I hated a majority of the world around me.

So I wasn't entirely sure what brought me to work at Shield. I wasn't entirely sure what helped me get out of bed every morning. I mean, if I hated a majority of the world around me, why did I fight like hell to save it?

I guess my hatred for bullies out weighs my hatred for the world. Plus, there was nothing better than kicking ass and taking names.

The annoying thing came when I actually allowed someone into my heart. Someone other than my cat, my dealer, even Nia. Someone that I didn't expect or really want to let in.

I was fighting like hell to make sure I didn't allow Steve Rogers to gain even a smallest part of it; because I didn't need any friends. I didn't want any friends. They were distractions. They were annoying, needy, and don't even get me started on the amount of effort they needed.

That's why I liked Whiskey. She didn't need any real attention. Hell, as long as I fed her, she wanted nothing to do with me.

So maybe Nia was right in saying that I was acting slightly out of character by doing something nice for someone other an myself.

But I wasn't exactly some monster. I knew that Steve Rogers did have a shitty life and he deserved some type of reconciliation for what happened. He deserved at least some closure.

I hope that seeing Peggy Carter would help him get that. Maybe it would help push him into a new life; help him get on with it.

And then my mission would be complete; and Fury would get me off desk duty. I'd be able to meet up with Natasha in Russia and kill Maxwell.

It was early in the morning when I knocked on Steve's apartment door. It was a Saturday and while I would typically be nursing a coma inducing hangover at this time, I was up before the sun. My mind was awake and I could never really turn it off once it was.

I stood uncomfortably outside the door, my legs stiff from the run I had went on before the sun came up. I had changed from my workout clothes, and was now wearing jeans and a Shield sweatshirt.