FILE ENTRY 6.0

Bella Starr

After seeing my tour group receive their artificial gravity inoculations, I can't help but think about an article I read on the Interplanetary News a few nights ago. According to the story on the data stream, the Space Venture Corporation had joined forces with a deep space mining outfit that orbits Jupiter's moon, Europa. The operation probed the Asteroid Belt and discovered a variety of biological specimens found frozen in the recesses of space rocks, big and small. In labs, scientists re-engineered the cells of that microscopic life and made drugs for a variety of medical purposes.

Space Venture manufactured a broad spectrum of these drugs on Mars, including the latest version of the AG inoculation intended to overcome Artificial Gravity Sickness. Ever since the invention of the gravity drive, space travelers have suffered from nausea, dizziness, and headaches, to name a few symptoms. Back in the early days of artificial gravity, the strong magnetic fields generated by gravity drives had caused people to exhibit behavior similar to schizophrenia and dementia, but in a much more dramatic fashion. On some of the first mining vessels that explored the solar system, crews went stark-raving mad. Miners turned on each other. Bloodshed ensued, and ultimately murder. That was before Space Venture came on the scene. The corporation designed the new AG Sickness drug to prevent that from ever happening again.

I think of the weight of it all, especially after watching the little girl, Adrianna, get her inoculations. But I can't dwell on these thoughts anymore. I have to move on.

After my last tour at Neptune Shores, I stop by my room for my luggage and then head to the concourse.

I pass the planter with the palm tree in the center of the floor. The numbness that dulled my nerves earlier lifts off me, drifting away into a faint calmness as I move on to the next phase of my journey. I try to smile. My eyes lighten with the new outlook on the future. Despite that, my father's death dampens my spirit. I feel caught between happiness and sadness. Floating, but only so high off the ground.

The resort lighting seems dimmer than normal. I decide it's me and not the space station. That's when Halo walks up.

"Wanna squeeze in one last round of Kendo?" he says.

"I'm afraid sword fighting is not on the horizon for me, maybe not for a long time."

"You never know." He pats my arm with the back of his hand. "We might see each other on Earth. We could meet halfway between Stanford and Japan." He grins. "Hawaii. I mean, all of us, of course. We could have a vacation during spring break. Me, you, Astra, and Caprica. Maybe your brother and sister could come. It'd be great."

My fragile balloon bursts. "Rigel and Betti want nothing to do with me right now."

"Why? What's wrong?"

I tell Halo about my conversation with Grayson Flux and his offer for me to stay at the resort, which I turned down. I mention nothing about my father's death, but play it off as if my family is only upset that I came to Neptune.

"Why would they hold your dreams against you?"

I shrug. "Maybe they think I should've been at home this past year and not a zillion miles away?"

"You can't put your life on hold to wait around for other people. If you don't live your life, you'll regret it."

"I know, but..." I shake my head. I try to smile, but it doesn't reach my eyes. "The ship and our cruise are all I want to think about."

"Hey, this might perk you up. My father told me they're going to display two of his swords. They'll be in a glass case in the middle of the dining hall while everyone eats. We could swipe them and..."