FILE ENTRY 7.0

Bella Starr

From my stateroom's bathroom, I hear the mirror-flat television droning on with an advertisement about the latest drug for countering AG Sickness, called Vestazine. The compound has a live virus that's quarried from the second largest rock in the Asteroid Belt called Vesta, named after the virgin goddess of home and hearth in Roman mythology. The virus eliminates the root cause of nausea and other symptoms of the sickness. It's laced with a special metal found only on Vesta. Space Venture owns the exclusive rights to the asteroid. They bought it from the Interplanetary Federation for exploration and exploitation. The alloy is like natural iron in the human body. The metal, fitly named Viron, is harmless to the body and interacts with the magnetic fields produced by the gravity drives of Space Venture's now famous space cruise ship and its beach resort, Neptune Shores.

Every guest of Neptune Shores and all passengers of the Celestial Sea received the specially designed Vestazine inoculation. The commercial ends with the promise of a pleasurable cruise home and a wonderful vacation for anyone relaxing on the beach under a holographic sun.

I can only sigh at the commercialization of space as I peer at myself in the bathroom mirror.

My hair has grown long enough to wear in a ponytail, the end sprouting from a tight band. I grin like I'm conjuring up a plan to conquer the world, or the universe, kind of on the evil side. To go classical, I gel my dark locks back over my scalp, producing a sleek appearance. Add to that a shimmering silver dress that goes to my ankles, and I have successfully replicated the look of a 1940s movie star on the Hollywood red carpet.

Believe it or not, everyone celebrates the bygone era in the year 2317 because it signifies the birth of the modern age, even though it was nearly four hundred years ago. But my attempt to cheer myself up and put my father's death behind me is short-lived. The air deflates from my lungs as my lips flatten into a straight line.

"Bella," Caprica says from the main area of the stateroom, which only comprises a twin bed, a nightstand, and a tiny desk with a mirror and chair. "Let's see it." She sits on the edge of the bed with Astra, waiting for me to show off my new dress I purchased at the ship's onboard clothing store. It cost me a month's paycheck of ebills.

"Come on, we can't wait to see it," Astra says.

"Okay." I manage a faint smile in the mirror and then step out into the short hallway with the cabin door behind me. I twirl around, an admirable feat in the long dress and heels. "Whatcha think?"

"If Halo could see you now," Astra says.

"He will soon enough," Caprica replies. "His jaw will drag the floor."

"Why would you say that?" I say.

Caprica springs from the bed, comes up to me and cups my face in her hands. "Are you blind? I can see Neptune fading to a pale blue. He's always at your side. Whether it's at the resort's food court or on this ship's top deck. His tour counter was next to yours, and you two have a daily ritual of banging swords."

My eyes grow wide.

Astra stands at Caprica's side. "Are we the only ones that see it?"

"He's my friend," I say. "He's our friend."

"But he spends more time with you. When you wander off alone, he always magically appears at your side."

I snort.

"Just saying," Caprica says. "He never follows us around like he does you."

"That's it. I'm not wearing this dress." I angle for the closet. "This is too much. I can't."

"What else do you have to wear to Captain's Night? Nothing that will match what we have on." Caprica runs a hand down her side. She wears an elegant white dress that makes her blue hair stand out. Beside her, Astra looks sleek in a black dress and low heels. Both of my friends are ready to hit the dance floor after dinner.

Through the open doorway, I glance at myself in the bathroom mirror. Roll my eyes. "Okay, let's go. He's waiting."

Caprica smirks. "Who's waiting?"

"You know who. Come on." I spin and open the cabin door.

Halo stands in the corridor, his fist in the air, about to knock. His brow arches and his chin hardens like it's chiseled from stone. I've thought very little about how he looks. He's my friend. He's Halo. Part of the gang. Although, there was a moment we shared on the space jet while leaving Earth and heading to Neptune. I was nervous during the blastoff, and magically on the center armrest of our seat, his hand came down and clutched mine. Was he trying to comfort me, or was he gripping my hand to calm his own nerves? Then there were certain moments when we were Kendo fighting. The way he looked at me, and the way I stared back at him, when we finished an adrenaline laced skirmish. I always considered it a competitive but sportsmanlike showdown among friends. But could there be something more?

What I am thinking anyway? He's...

Halo puts a hand on the doorframe, leans against it. "Hello, Earth to Bella."

I turn and glare at Caprica and Astra, who have large, round eyes.

"Where did you get that dress?" His gaze darts down to my figure and then up, in slow motion. "I've never seen you wear anything like that before."

"It's for dinner. Step aside." I nudge him out of the way and enter the hall. A few agonizingly slow seconds later, Caprica and Astra appear through the cabin doorway.

During the initial exchange with Halo, I didn't pay attention that he was wearing a black tux with a baby blue bow tie.

"Where'd you get that suit?" I ask. "The laundry chute down the hall?"

"From the same store you got your dress. Are we ready to roll here?"

"I'm starving," Astra says.

"Me too," Caprica adds.

The corridor continues on forever in both directions with burnt orange carpet and two-toned glossy walls of the same color. Above us, the ceiling turns to a lighter shade. I assume, from my memory of the ship's blueprints, that we're headed toward the vessel's stern or rear section. Further down the corridor, in the middle of a short intersecting hallway, a bank of elevators awaits us. We won't be going to the Sea Breeze Deck, but will stop a few floors shy, and get off outside one of the four fine dining halls, the one called the Imperial Hall. I can't wait to experience the splendor of the dining room, and sink my teeth into lobster and steak, all before the ship speeds up to two percent the speed of light.