FILE ENTRY 11.0

Bella Starr

After my visit to the Serenity Deck and seeing the girl's mother complaining of an upset stomach—before I returned to my stateroom—I stopped by Caprica's room and knocked, hoping to catch her and Astra in a talkative mood. I could've used the companionship, but they still must've been out dancing on the Atlantic Deck. Even more surprising, Halo wasn't back either. I don't know what to think about that, and I feel a twinge high in my stomach, an unsettling ache. Not sure what that's all about? We're only friends. Besides, Halo is only doing what I asked him to do—watching out for Caprica and Astra and warding off any unwanted attention. Both girls harbor enough spunk to intimidate the weak at heart, but they tossed back a few too many drinks at dinner and might not be on their toes. With Halo's heritage in Kendo and martial arts, he makes the perfect watchdog.

A thought of Halo dancing with a girl flashes across my mind. Again, I feel that twinging pain high in my stomach, but I shove the images away as I push into my stateroom and close the door behind me.

My room is quiet. Onboard an ocean-going vessel, I would expect the ship to rock and groan under the stress of wave action, but in space, the Celestial Sea rips through the airless vacuum without resistance. Also, the antigravity bubble created by the gravity drive contributes to the smooth ride.

I entertain the thought of turning on the mirror-like television, which is nothing more than a piece of glass on the wall. The TV has a holographic capability that's spooky. Seeing a 3D movie without glasses has been around for a hundred years, but watching an action flick come alive in your room is something I'm not in the mood for. Instead, I pick up my tablet on the nightstand.

I want to video call my mom and confront her about Grayson Flux's offer, but I had so much going through my mind when I boarded the ship, and with my friends around, it just wasn't a good time. With the micrometeoroids damaging the communication arrays at Neptune Shores, I couldn't call earlier. Of course, I could call now, in transit, but it's late, midnight ship's time. That means it's the same time in California, meaning mom will probably be in bed with her earplugs in and her eye mask pulled over her face.

Instead, I fall into bed and scroll through pictures of my family, starting with my siblings. Our parents named all of us after stars in the Orion Constellation. Rigel grins like a possum in one photo. Betti, short for Betelgeuse, joins me in a selfie-times-two, both of us smiling with Laguna Beach in the background. That's where I got my braces, had them removed, went to my junior prom, and earned a senior year at Neptune Shores.

Next, I stare at a picture of my mother and her dark hair, smiling, taken before I left for Neptune and before her husband died. Her hazel eyes are the same as mine.

I swipe through a few photos of my father. My eyes swell with tears that run down my cheeks. In the pictures, he looks like he's in excellent health. He wasn't even fifty when he died, too young for a heart attack, at least in my mind. Anything is possible, sure, but I have a difficult time understanding it. He worked for Space Venture as an engineer, helping them develop the gravity drives. I just can't believe he died of a heart attack at such a young age.

It's been over a year since I last saw him, and now I'll never see him again.

I can't take it anymore, so I power down my tablet and toss it on the nightstand. It skitters and almost falls off the edge.

I look at the device for a long moment. I feel like the tablet, on the edge, about to tumble into an abyss.

My parents had offered to pay for my college education, but I earned my way into the senior year of a lifetime at the resort and I wanted to broaden my horizons. Neptune Shores was the beginning of my future, one I had to work for and make happen. Now, the last thing I want is to fall flat on my face in front of my family. I wanted this gig to get a scholarship. I needed it and I'd earned it. No one gave it to me.

A knock on the door interrupts my thoughts.

I wipe my eyes and sniff, pop up from the bed and glance in the mirror. Tiny blood vessels streak the whites of my eyes. I fluff my hair and look at myself for a moment. I'm still wearing my purple tank top and black pants.

At the door, I hesitate and then open it. My countenance falls.

"Nice to see you too," Astra says, waltzing past me.

"I wasn't—"

"I know who you were expecting."

"Who?" I put a hand on my hip.

Astra rolls her eyes and sits on the edge of the bed.

"What's wrong with you?" I say.

"It's Caprica. She had too much to drink. She didn't throw up, but Halo had to help her back to her room."

I frown and fold my arms. "Guess by now he's had enough chaperoning you two?"

"Yeah, he said he was ready to crash."

"So, why did you come to my room?" I say.

"I wanted to let you know we were safe and sound, back in our rooms."

"Okay..." I eye the door. "You did that."

"Who crapped in your toilet and didn't flush?"

Laughter bursts from my lips, and I smile. Strangely, my friend has helped take away the pain that's been troubling me.

"Go to your room and go to bed," I say. "I'll check on Cap and see you in the morning. It wasn't the wisest idea to drink so much. Alcohol clouds the mind and impairs your judgement."

"Sounds like your inner Halo talking." Astra rises and goes to the door. "Thanks for the pep talk. See you after I sleep this off."

With that, she leaves the room. I wait for the click of her cabin door as it closes, and then I walk down the hall to the neighboring stateroom and bang on the door.

No answer. She must be out cold.

"I came to check on you." I raise my voice. "Astra said you overdid it."

Again, nothing.

"Are you okay, Cap? Do you need me to help you pray to the porcelain god?"

Caprica mumbles incoherently. I sigh and blow air from my lips. "Suit yourself. I'm going back up to the Sea Breeze Deck to unwind for a bit. Call Astra or Halo if you need anything."

Caprica doesn't reply and I'm glad she doesn't. I don't want to be around her right now, especially if she's about to throw up what she ate for dinner.