FILE ENTRY 35.0

Bella Starr

Before this point in my journey, I would've been self conscious of my inabilities with handling a sword, but not anymore. I trained for a year with Halo—with bamboo swords—but swords nonetheless. I'd wielded a real katana for less than a hour, but now I'm light on my feet, handling the weight of the blade with skill and precision. At first, I allowed Halo to lead, but now, it's all on me.

I push Electra Draco aside so I can clear the way for my sword. Draco can pay for what she's done later.

I launch myself forward to cut off the first crew member in line. I thrust the katana through his mouth, the tip of the blade penetrating his throat and emerging from the back of his head. I yank the sword back and spin, whipping the blade through the air and decapitating the second member of the crew. He crashes to the floor much like Cygnus Lo.

Any other day, this is murder, but not today. It's kill or be killed. This is war. This is survival. If I don't clear the bridge of the infected, we all will die.

I glance back at Draco's gaping mouth and shell-shocked eyes, wide and full of fright. "Stay out of my way," I say.

Draco's lower lip sags, but she gives me a quick nod to continue.

When I turn, the captain has already started around a computer console, working his way toward me. I trace his eyes, milky and bloodshot as they search for the closest path to get to me.

At the same time, the first mate cuts a path toward Draco.

Draco swings the wrench, but she isn't prepared to wield its hefty weight and the blow glances off the first mate's chin. He advances and pins her arm back, keeping her from striking out.

Draco forces her elbow into the man's throat, holding his teeth at bay.

I wheel around from the captain and thrust my sword into the first mate's back, the blade poking through his chest, blood dripping from the end. Draco's eyes grow large at the sight of the blade so close to her throat.

The first mate keels over...dead. It doesn't take a head shot like in the zombie movies of old. What kills a normal human, kills an infected. They're just people overcome by a virus.

I hear the captain coming as he angles around the far end of a computer console and comes straight for me.

I pull the sword from the first mate's back, but I'm a second too late.

The captain smashes into me and drives me backwards into an instrument panel. From the impact, my katana slips from my hand and clatters to the floor. My back is arched over the console with the captain draped over me. I search for some angle, some way to free myself, but all I see is an upside down view of asteroids outside of the front windows.

A space rock as large as a boulder bounces off the front of the Celestial Sea and tumbles away in a new trajectory.

As the captain lowers his head to bite my neck, I look over his shoulder and see Draco's mouth curling into a grin. Of course, she wants to see me go down. But I won't give up that easy.

My eyes search for the sword; it's on the floor at the captain's feet. Fortunately, that means Draco can't reach it either or at least wouldn't dare try.

With my right elbow, I shove the bony point into the captain's chest, forcing him away. Using the extra space and the leverage, I stretch my left hand out but can't reach the katana. It's a foot from my fingertips.

As I strain, I catch a glimpse of movement behind the captain. Is it Draco? No. She's still standing transfixed against the side wall of the bridge.

A hand appears gripping a steak knife, arcing toward the captain's head. The blade sinks into the man's temple, all the way to the hilt.

The captain goes limp, slumps over and hits the floor, the knife still in Halo's hand.

Having summoned what might be his last energy reserves, Halo smiles faintly, and then falters. The next thing I know, he pitches over and hits the floor next to the dead captain.

I take a knee beside him and remove the knife from his hand while being sure to secure the sword with my other hand. At all costs, I have to keep Draco away from any type of weapon that gives her power over us.

Halo gasps for air.

Earlier, I thought he might die soon. And he still could, but for now, he seems to be holding on.

Adrianna rushes into the bridge. "He heard you were in trouble so he came to help. I couldn't stop him."

"It's okay," I reply. "Just stand in the back in case we run into more trouble."

Adrianna agrees and slinks to the back corner of the bridge where she sits with her knees hugged to her chin. I turn from the girl and set my eyes on Draco because it's time to send that message to Earth and she better not stand in my way.