12

Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I steadied my gaze at the professor giving a lecture in front of the class and I took my notes every once in a while. Images flashed on the big screen through the projector as he pointed out particular human brain parts and explained every intricate details for our Neurosurgery class. Rayeon and Chanyeol sat beside me on either sides who were just as focused as I was. A short quiz followed after the two-hour discussion. Later the class was dismissed. As some of my blockmates shuffled out of the lecture hall, I took my things on the desk and stuffed those into my backpack. The dissection kit I brought with me occupied most of the space inside so I had a little difficulty of putting my thick medical books in order. I didn't bother leaving it in my locker because my classes really start on time and we had to switch rooms to use. It would be a waste of time to come running to the locker room every time.

"Med library?" asked Rayeon, hugging her books in her arms. The three of us headed to the door and gushed out while I shook my head. I badly wanted a dose of caffeine now. "I'd prefer coffee shop." I had Chanyeol agreeing with me. "Right," he said. First period started at 6 ᴀᴍ today which was why I wasn't able to swing by for my morning coffee earlier.

When we sat inside the café, I immediately placed out my reading materials and iPad.  I clicked on the 3D Human Anatomy app to study as I referred to my book. Chanyeol lined up for our coffee and snacks. I ignored the vein throbbing in my head. I had been feeling that pain in the past few weeks and sometimes, I felt nausea coming over me. Even the twisting in the pit of my stomach had grown more uncomfortable to feel. I knew it was because of my increasing stress levels and the consecutive sleepless nights. I hadn't gone to the doctor yet since the thought always slipped my mind and I was still busy. I could have got myself checked last week when we did a rotation in the E.R. of the school hospital, however, I was assigned in the night shift group and was too tired and sleepy to even consult to a doctor.

Given all the loads of schoolwork I had, I didn't realize I had been in fourth year for two months already which means midterm exam for the first semester is just hanging around the corner. But before that we needed to do a posttest and another rotation in every department in the school hospital in small groups. I enjoyed staying there, actually. I couldn't wait to get through with fourth grade and move on to the last two years then officially become a student intern. I just wanted to perform what a doctor does already. I guess wanting to be part of the medical field runs in the blood.

Chanyeol came back with our steaming hot coffee, mine was a cup of espresso, a slice of chocolate cake alongside.

I was on my second time memorizing key terms on one chapter of my General Surgery book when the screen of my phone lit up. My brows crinkled to the unregistered number.