02

the time at the bus stop

Jang Eunmi is used to the scorching, bright weather of her hometown Daegu, South Korea. Despite the fact that she's now lived in Canada for over two years, she's still yet to become accustomed to the frigid climate over here. As each winter approaches and the ground ices over, Eunmi still finds herself startled by just how cold it gets.

This is what she's thinking about as she trudges to the bus stop near her house. Her feet, clad in electric blue Doc Marten boots, splash in semi-frozen puddles of the slush that always follows snow. The bus stop is deserted when Eunmi reaches it. She stands under the shelter, shivering a little, and waits for her bus. As usual, it's late.

Whilst the bus service's failure to deliver a bus on time is annoying to Eunmi, it's very handy for Min Yoongi, who is currently hurrying towards that same bus stop. He's got a navy blue scarf wrapped around his neck and obscuring half of his face, but it's still not quite enough to protect him from the bitter January weather.

Yoongi reaches the bus just as its doors are about to close. Then he notices that someone, a girl, has held it open for him. He struggles to catch his breath as he thanks her, his smile hidden by the scarf. She nods and quickly shuffles to a seat as he gathers the ticket fare from his wallet.

As it turns out, the only available seat is next to the girl who'd held the door for him. Yoongi sits down and gets out his History exercise book. Being the master of procrastination he is, he has managed to leave the essay due for first period to the very last minute.

Eunmi glances across at the lap of the boy next to her, smirking when she notices that he's busy scrawling what appears to be homework. She can't help but to be amused at the way his handwriting jolts and tilts with every bump and turn in the road. Thankfully, she completed all her assignments due for today before visiting her sister at college back in Korea. She takes a moment to thank her past self for her initiative and not letting herself end up in a similar situation to the boy beside her.

Instead, she gets out her phone. She'd been meaning to call said older sister when she arrived home yesterday but ended up going straight to bed the moment she got home, hit hard by the caffeine crash.

"Hey." The sound of Eunmi's sister always brings a rush of happiness to her; she sounds like home.

"Hi, it's me. I know you told me to ring when I got home but I was so tired that I just went to bed and slept for, like, sixteen hours." Eunmi says, trying to keep her voice low to avoid being the annoying person on public transport who yells down their mobile phone.

"I can't blame you. How was the flight? Any better than on the way over?" Her sister and in a slow voice.

Eunmi shrugs, despite the fact that she can't see her.

"Not as bad. I mean, I wasn't sat next to the bitchiest old lady ever, which helped. Actually, this boy went and got me a couple of coffees when I didn't want to get up, so that was good."

"Sorry, Eunmi, I'm trying to pay attention but I'm currently nursing the worst hangover and it would be easier to just speak in Korean."

Eunmi laughs and continues the conversation in her native language. It seems to be following closely along the lines of the passenger she sat next to as her sister persists to ask wether he was cute, was he a gentleman, etcetera - to which Eunmi replies yes, he was cute, but no, he was also extremely infuriating.

Eventually she manages to steer the conversation away from herself and towards college life. For some reason, she's found her thoughts drifting to that boy more than once since her return and that is not something she wants to ponder on further.

Meanwhile, Yoongi is furiously scribbling down the conclusion to his essay, blissfully unaware that the girl sitting next to him right now is that same person who has managed to occupy a fair few of his thoughts. In fact, it's pretty much her fault that he's doing his homework now, as opposed to last night.

At last he finishes it and shoves it into his bag.

Now that his attention isn't focused on his assignment, he becomes aware of a one sided conversation taking place beside him in - is that Korean? The language strikes at the memory of a voice he's heard in the early hours of yesterday morning. At the time he'd brushed it off as some vaguely asian accent, but now it all clicks together.

The name, the accent and now the language.

"Jang Eunmi." Yoongi says, thinking out loud as he stands up to get off at his stop. He leads to the front of the bus, almost missing the chance to disembark; he'd been so wrapped up in his thoughts.

As he steps out onto the sidewalk below the bus, he looks through the window to see Eunmi staring right at him. The bus begins to pull away and he just catches her lips forming the words "oh my God."

A/N: Just to clear a few things up, in this story, Yoongi was born in Canada, and only knows a bit of Korean ( that's why it took him a while to realize Eunmi was speaking Korean ) and Eunmi was born in Korea, but had to travel ( to live ) in Canada for a school scholarship. They were both in Korea for the holidays, and they ended up in the same flight back to Vancouver, Canada. <3