07

the time on the street

"the universe is not punishing you or blessing you, the universe is responding to the vibrational attitude that you're emitting."

If this idea is correct, Yoongi is pretty sure he must have been emitting some seriously positive attitude in order for the universe to decide that his path should cross with Eunmi's so many times. Unfortunately, the universe didn't decide to bless him with the communication skills to convey how amazing he thinks it is that they've met by accident so often. Nor to ask for her number.

In fact, he voices this to Joe ( in a slightly less lame, self deprecating way ) in the hopes that he'll ask Rebecca, his girlfriend and a friend of Eunmi's, to pass on Eunmi's number. Joe nods and tells him "sure", but the fact that a week has passed with no further response makes Yoongi think it's not going to happen.

Okay so maybe he visited Starbucks a couple more times than usual and perhaps he chose to get the bus to school even when his dad offered him a lift. But he can't get this far with a girl, a girl like Eunmi, no less, and just forget about her.

Of course, a lot of people might consider it strange that his head perks up and he looks around, hopeful, every time the door opens during his shift at the music store. Regardless, it pays off when on a rainy Sunday afternoon, in walks Rebecca.

She walks straight to the pop section, browsing the CD's with a contented smile. She hasn't even glanced in Yoongi's direction. He immediately stands up from his seat, then sits back down again. Deciding that if it's meant to be, Rebecca will be happening to buy something.

Miracle upon miracles, her manicured nails land on the new Taylor Swift album and she picks it up, reading the back of the CD sleeve. Then, she shrugs and heads towards Yoongi behind the till.

As she fishes in her purse for the correct change, she suddenly startles.

"Wait, you're on Joe's hockey team, right? I knew it!"

Yoongi nods and sort of chuckles nervously. This isn't even the girl he wants to impress and he's pathetic.

"Actually, you know Eunmi, don't you?" He starts. "I kind of know her and I was, well, I was wondering if you could give me her number. I forgot to ask her for it the other day."

Rebecca purses her lips, as though deep in thought.

"I'm not sure I should be handing out her number to people I scarcely know... but I actually just bumped into her going into the bank just down the road. We chatted for a bit but she was in a hurry."