2) Unexpected meeting

This day just keeps getting better and better. First I had that "incident' this morning with that Richie kid, and now I'm lost. Seriously How hard is it to find a front office. I'm pretty sure I've seen this exact bathroom 5 times already. Ugh this is not how the plan was supposed to go. I pass by several classes ,with their doors wide open, that have students inside. I can hear the teachers teaching their lessons. While everyone scrambles to take notes on every single word they say. Like their words hold the fate of the world in a single sentence. I should be in there with everyone. Listening to the lessons, and retaining all that knowledge to better myself. Taking notes in my bird cover notebook, with little robins on it. Going forth with my plan, but instead I'm roaming these halls wondering were the hell I am. You know what I'm just gonna start opening doors, and hope for the best. I stop in front of a door that's a darker shade of brown than the others. This one looks promising. I open it up, and instead of seeing a secretary I was immediately engulfed in cigarette smoke. I start to cough really bad, because I'm not used to cigarette smoke. I could feel my chest burning, and as my eyes started to water I hear someone get up and walk towards me. As I was hacking up my left lung, all of the sudden I feel a hand gently patting my back. I don't feel sudden relief, but it was helping. The person who was patting me guided me into the room, and sat me up on a milk crate. When I finally looked up through teary eyes to see who was responsible for the smoking, and patting I saw a red headed girl. A girl was helping me? Since when does that happen? I was about to speak but she cutt me off before a single word came out of my mouth.
"Don't speak it will only make it worse. Just wait here a sec
I hear her open, and rummage through a bag. Before I can ask what she's doing. She's already back with something in her hand. I opened my mouth to ask her what it is, but instead of words coming out of my mouth I feel a cold piece of plastic coming in. Before I had time to panic, she squeezed the top of the device, and a cold puff of air was shot down my throat forcing me to inhale. What is this substance, it taste like battery acid. Putting aside the awful taste, I can suddenly feel myself start to breath a little better.
" I'm going to do it one more time, ok?
I nodded, and she pressed the button again, but this time I was prepared. She took the plastic out of my mouth, and it felt like a weight was being lifted off my chest. To test out if my breathing was back to normal. I did my breathing exercise my therapist taught me as a kid. Deep inhale, and out, now repeat that 5 times. Except every time I inhaled all I smelt was cigarette smoke, it was repulsive. After a few breaths the smell still bothered me, but not as much. Meaning I could breath, but I didn't like the smell.
"Hey
I jumped and almost fell off the crate I was sitting on. I completely forgot she was here.
"sorry about that kid. I forgot to open the vents, and I wasn't expecting visitors"
"It's ok I was just trying to find the front office, I should of knocked. Also what was that thing you put in my mouth?"
I want to make sure she didn't just poison me.
"Oh it's an inhaler, see one of my friends he has really bad asthma. So me and the other losers... I mean my other friends we all carry one just in case he has another asthma attack."
Did she say losers what group calls themselves the losers. Or that could just be a pet name she only uses, but it's still sweet they do that for that boy.
"Oh thats-"
"You said you where going to the front office right?"
" Um yeah I kinda got lost.. "
"First day?"
" Yeah. "
God this is embarrassing watch she's going to make fun of me. Who wouldn't, "little Stanley Uris lost on the first d-"
" I can take you. My friend, the "asthmatic kid", is next door in the nurses office. I told him I would stop by, and keep him company until his mom brings his medication.
She stopped rambling, then spoke again. "Sorry if I'm overwhelming with things that probably don't matter to you. "
She started to laugh nervously, and it made me feel bad? Why bad? I barely know this girl. Hey I still felt the need to try, and ease the awkwardness.
"Hey it's fine, but I do hope your friend is ok"
She started to smile, and when she did I noticed she had freckles dusted all over her cheeks and nose.
"Well thank you kind sir. Now let's get you to that front office.
She walked out the door then I followed, and we started down the hallway. A few minutes go by in awkward silence.
" So what's your name kid? "
Well she did kinda "save" my life. I guess I at least owe her my name. Just don't get attached...
"It's Stanley, but you can call me stan"
She stopped suddenly, and walked in front of me.
"Well Stan
She grabbed my hand and bowed. Like what a jester would do to their king. It kinda made me feel special, and a little uncomfortable. Then she rose, and dropped my hand.
" I'm Beverly Marsh, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I would stay and chat, but I'm afraid this is were I take my leave. "
She pointed to a sign that said nurse, and right next to it was a front office sign. FINALLY!!!! She turned around, and was about to leave,
"Um wait!
She stopped, and looked at me
" Yes? "
"Um..Thank you, Beverly"
She smiled and did that little peace sign thing.
"No problem, Stan the man"
She walked into the nurses office, and smiled at me one last time before closing the door. "Stan the man", I kinda like that. Wait what am I doing ahhh plan stick to the plan. Now breath, and go get that schedule!
I walk into the office with determination, until the smell hit me like a brick wall. It smelled like coffee, and finger nail polish. It was utterly repulsive. Almost as repulsive as that closet, but not quit there.
At the desk was an old lady with a cheap hack job for hair, makeup caked on her face, and lipstick stains on her teeth. I hope those are lipstick stains. She didn't seem to notice I was in the room. So I did that coughing thing to get her attention, but instead of it sounding like a cough it sounded like I was trying to hock a lougie in her office. That defiantly got her attention. She turns towards me with disgust, and looks me up and down. Her eyes are cold, and lifeless. I know those eyes. I see those eyes everyday from the man who raised me. So if she's trying to intimidate me it's not gonna work, try again.
She walks towards her desk, and opens the top shelf to take out some papers.
" Are you the knew student? "
Her voice sounds scratchy, and rough. It kinda startled me
"Um yes sir, I mean ma'am"
She scoffs, and turns around to hand me a paper with my schedule on it.
"Are you always late on the first day?"
Great
"Um no ma'am see I had an I had an incident this-"
"Let me just stop you there so I can see how many fucks I give"
She started to look around the room.
"Ah well just as I thought there seems to be none. Now get to class, and don't let it happen again!"
" Yes sir, I mean ma'am! "
I turn around, and walk out that door faster than I thought I was ever capable of.
What the hell is wrong with this school. Not only are the students nutjobs, but the teachers too. The only pleasant thing was meeting that red head, and that was a disaster. Wait Beverly! I look at the nurses office, and stand there contemplating whether I should go in. Maybe if I do I can see if I have any classes with her. No! what about "no friends". However, I wouldn't consider this "making friends". I'm just simply seeing if I have any classes with her, so I can avoid her. Yeah that's it so I can avoid her. I step towards the door/about to go in, and behind I can hear someone coughing really badly. It takes me a sec to realize that someone might be seriously hurt, and I storm in. And instead of looking like a super hero, I gracefully trip and fall flat on my face. As I'm lying on the ground, I hear the familiar sound of the inhaler. Then I hear tiny footsteps walking towards me. When I look up to see who's approaching me, I see a small hand reaching out to help me up. I grab the hand, and slowly pull myself up. When I'm all the way up, I am met with big light brown doe eyes. The person those beautiful eyes belonged to was a short boy. In all honesty he was probably the most adorable boy I've ever laid eyes on. His light brown hair was combed to the side neatly. He was wearing these to short red gym shorts, and a yellow T-shirt tucked into it. But the most peculiar thing about his outfit was he had a fanny pack around his waist. I've never seen a fanny pack, besides on my grandpa earl to keep his medicine in. Why was this small boy wearing one. I finally noticed he was staring at me too. However he looked at me like he was seeing a whole new species, and it got me curious, why was he looking at me like that? Then he spoke, but his voice was panicky, and a little high pitched. Kinda fits him
" Are you ok? Did you get cutt? How hard did you hit your head? cause your kinda just staring.
My face immediately turned red, and I took a step back. Shit he noticed!
"Oh no your face is red! Do you have a fever? Or maybe *gasp* do you have a concussion! Lay down let me check you for a concussion."
" Wait? Wh-"
I was cutt off, and was being pushed to the little bed in the nurses office. I sat down on the leather bed, and layed down like he told me to. He walked beside me, and sat down in the nurses chair. Where is the nurse anyways?
"Ok how many fingers am I holding up?"
He held up 3 fingers in front of my face.
"3"
I went to sit up, but he put his hand on my chest and gently pushed me back down.
"Ok umm how bad does your head hurt on a scale of 1-10"
" Zero, can I go now? "
He hesitated then he sat back I'm the chair, and nodded. I started to get up, but he put his hand back in my chest.
"only if you promise to take an ibuprofen, and a ice pack."
Is he serious? If I had a concussion that would never work, but I took one look in those big beautiful eyes, and I couldn't say no to them.
"Fine."
He smiled brightly, then bounced out the chair, and walked to the cabinets. He took out the bottle of ibuprofen, and he grabbed a tiny cup of water. Then he opened the fridge like he own the place, and took out a ice pack. Does he live here, or something?He gave me the ibuprofen, and the tiny cup of water. Then he gently put the ice pack on top of my my hair. My hair is so curly it kinda just sunk into them, and stayed in place.
"Thank you"
"No problem! the
He took the cup, and tossed it into the waste basket.
"And umm... why did you barge in here like that. You almost gave me a asthma attack."
Asthma attack? Wait, is he the friend that Beverly girl was talking about? So that explains the coughing I heard outside the door.
"Well I actually came to find someone. Then I heard you coughing, and I got worried about whoever was behind the door. And Now were here. Sorry about that by the way. I hope I didn't cause you to man y problems. I should probably get to my first hour.
Shoot! Now that I think about it, I don't know where my first hour is.
"Umm do you happen to know where biology is? "
"Uh yes actually I do, because that's my first hour too. I can walk you there if you want. I've finished my business in here so it's really no issue"
Universe please do me a favor, and take a break from kicking my rear end. I might as well go with him, considering I'll be stuck with him for the rest of my time here.
"Sure I'm ok with that. Thank you."
" No problem I would just hate for you to get lost with Bowers gang roaming the halls. "
Bowers? Who's is Bowers? Whatever doesn't matter, not part of the plan. We walk out of the nurses office, and down the hall to first hour biology.
"Late again are we Mr. Kasbrak! Let me guess you have a tumor on your brain. Making you not capable to make it to first period. "
The boy looked down with a sad look on his face, and for some reason I never wanted to see that look on his face again.
"No ma'am he was just showing me how to get here I'm new." a
She looked at me like she just noticed I was in the room.
" Ah so you must be Stanley Uris"
" Yes ma'am"
"Well Stanley you just bought yourself, and Eddie over here detention.
"Detention!?"
We both said at the same time.
" Yes detention, that will teach you what happens when your late to my class. Now have a seat you two"
I looked over at Eddie, and he looked absolutely defeated, and it's my fault.This school is really starting to piss me off. Eddie and I Walk to our seats. I take the empty one in the far corner in the back. Away from the other students, who were chatting about how I got detention on my first day. I hear the chair next to me being pulled back. I look over and Eddie is putting his stuff down on the floor next to my chair, and sitting by me? Me? Of all people he sat by me. The man responsible for getting him detention. Why? He looks over at me and smiles, then looks back at the board.
The bell rings indicating first period is over, and the teacher tells me I have detention on Saturday. Great, dad's gonna be thrilled about that. Before I leave the room I hear Eddie run up behind me, and tap my shoulder. Gosh he is really short.
"um it was nice meeting you stan. I hope the rest of your first day goes better. I'll see you tomorrow for detention. Unless my mom kills me for getting detention again. "
I chuckle, but he didn't laugh. Instead his eyes got dark, and before I can say anything he walks away.
"Bye stan..."
I watched him turn the corner, and thought what was going on in that mind of his? Whatever doesn't matter right now I gotta continue on with my plan.
The rest of the day goes by kinda slow, but thankfully no more issues. I found the library, and ate my lunch in there in peace. Then I went to the rest of my classes with no more surprises to screw up my day even more.
By the end of the day I was exhausted. I almost didn't have enough strength to ride my bike home. As I pulled into the driveway I noticed neither mom or dad was home. I would worry about that, but I'm so tired at the moment I don't care. I walked into my house, and flopped onto my bed. Homework can wait, School can wait, Parents can wait.
Right now I'm a bird. A beautiful bird, soaring gracefully in the air without a care. Not caring about school, especially not caring about Derry. Not caring about a lanky ravenet, and an asthmatic boy. Maybe someday I will actually spread my wings, and fly far away from here. Now that sounds like a plan.

Hey sorry for the long chapter!!! There was just a lot I needed to get down, before I could actually start getting into the story. I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, and stay for the rest of this roller coaster ride of confusion. Until the next chapter, stay schwifty my dudes!!❤