Chapter Seven, Part One - Red Rum

The next morning, breakfast was as frustrating as last night's dinner. The Sorcerer's spell still had yet to wear off, which meant any food I brought to my lips would either rot immediately or sprout a species of bug. Needless to say, I was a little short-tempered at the possibility of having to spend the rest of my life on an all liquid diet.

"Tammy, you didn't eat dinner last night and you still haven't touched your breakfast." Dad set a glass before me on the table, and pour ice water into it. "Aren't you hungry?"

"Not at all," I said as my belly gave a loud squeal in objection.

He gave me a funny look before retreating to the fridge. I picked up my water glass and took a healthy sip, not caring that it would turn into the golden liquid. At this point I was so ravenous even my thirst seemed never-ending. But the more golden liquid I drank, the better I felt. I drained the glass and licked my lips, relieved that I was no longer experiencing the stabbing pains of starvation.

Meanwhile, a pretty pair of blue eyes stared at me from across the table. "Did you just turn your water into iced tea?" hissed Margot.

"No. Shh."

"Alright, I'm heading out girls. See you after school." Dad returned to the table long enough to give us both a quick hug. He approached Margot but she turned from his embrace. Dad pulled away, visibly hurt, but she didn't speak until he was gone.

"He knows you're mad at him." I pushed back from the table, glass in hand. "Why don't you just tell him why you're angry?"

"No," said Margot, petulant. "He should already know what the problem is! He shouldn't have gotten rid of Mom's stuff!"

"We don't even know where Mom's stuff is." I removed the cold water from the fridge and pouring myself another glass. "Who knows, maybe he had a good reason for doing what he did."

"Suck-up."

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes and guzzled more of the golden liquid.

* * *