Chapter Sixteen, Part Two - Letting Go

“This only proves that magic was involved in the attack – but not that it was Erica. We still need more. Are you still good to stay behind at dinner next week?”

Margie paused but eventually nodded, looking pale but determined.

“I’ll distract Erica and Dad at dinner and warn you if she decides to suddenly leave. That’s all you need me to do, right?”

“Of course,” I quickly assured, laying a hand on her arm. “But if you don’t feel comfortable doing that, I understand –”

But Margie shook her head, blinking around eyes that were suddenly wet.

“We have to do this. For Mom.”

“For Mom,” I agreed.

*  *  *

            Because of this year’s early snowfall, I was forced to don a white turtleneck and thick, matching, leggings beneath my blue and black cheerleading uniform. My hair was pulled into a high pony-tail and curled the ends, and thanks to Margot’s coaching my makeup was flawless. I almost felt normal again.

            With Kat Foster at my side I crossed the school’s sprawling sward. It’s been transformed into a miniature carnival with several small tents and booths scattered about the lawn. The smell of cooking meat, and cotton candy clung to the air, reminding me of childhood memories. For once, I was almost enthusiastic about being forced to attend school.

            Ten minutes later, I’ve pasted a smile on my face as students, parents, and faculty members randomly approach the bottle ring tent. I pass out the large, plastic rings and smile. I pass out the prizes and smile. I’m even smiling when the customers have gone and I’m left to once again re-adjust the fallen, brown bottles. Its work that’s filled with mind-numbing politeness and forced small talk, but regardless I find myself more than content to do it. It was just simple enough to be the perfect escape from the alternating forms of fear and anger that I had grown so accustomed to in the short time that the Fae had entered my life. And I knew I would sorely miss this feeling of normalcy once it was gone.

            It was just as I was going through these thoughts that I realized my moment had perhaps taken on a little too much regularity.

            “Tamsyn?”

            At the sound of my name I looked up and promptly stood from my seat on the bar stool that sat directly behind the counter. I looked into the haunted blue eyes of Sienna Miller, who stood on the other side. Dressed in light blue sweatpants and a matching Lady Ravens hoodie that were both distressingly wrinkled, she looked more miserable and dejected than I had ever seen her. And I found absolutely no joy in it.

            “Hi,” she said, dogged but clearly uncomfortable about the situation. I didn’t blame her.