Chapter Twelve, Part One - Deadly Confessions

Chapter Twelve

Deadly Confessions

            I’m awake.

            Lana is standing above me and shaking my shoulder, her brown hair mussed from sleep and hazel eyes a little bleary and bloodshot.

            “Duuuuuude – we totally fell asleep,” she said with a yawn. “The Ice Queen still hasn’t showed.”

            Getting my bearings, I sat up from my bed and glanced at the clock. 10:20. Only twenty minutes had passed since I’d fallen asleep, but it felt like I’d been in the Otherworld for hours.

            “She wasn’t late, I was,” I replied, swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, careful not to disturb Margie who was still fast asleep.

            “Wait – what d’you mean?” she whispered back

            I shook my head and pressed a finger to my lips, nodding my head towards the bedroom door. Together we quietly stole across the room. I opened the door and shut it behind us, and we stood in the dim light of the landing. In low, quiet tones I recounted my story.

            “I’ve never seen anything like what Titania did to those Fae. It was awful. And when the butterflies attacked, the crowd actually cheered. They were… clapping. It was disgusting.”

“I’m sorry. As much as I hate to say it, none of that surprises me,” Lana said, leaning against the wall and folding her arms over her chest. Suddenly she was wide awake. “The Dark Fae are pretty well-known for being… well… dark. It’s kinda their thing.”

“It’s all just so… unbelievable. And it’s not making much sense either. If Westley killed my mother, why would he bother taking me from the Otherworld? And if he has a Blade of Woe, then why hasn’t he used it to kill me? So far, all he’s seemed to do since I’ve met him is… protect me. That just doesn’t sound like a killer to me.”

“Then maybe he’s not the one that killed your real mother….” Lana replied in a low, hushed voice. “Maybe he was framed. I mean, think about – if you’re such a thorn in Westley’s side, why hasn’t he killed you? Shouldn’t you be just another loose end standing in his way? Why go through all that trouble to risk his life to save you?”

True, he’d been there to protect me from the Slaugh, and warned me against seeing the Ice Queen. And hadn’t he also been there to make excuses to the Humans for me after I’d died from rowan poisoning?

“The only thing I know for sure is that if the Knight could go after her own niece, nothing would stop her from going to Clifton and attacking my mother too. Maybe she thought Margaret would have answers about Westley and the Blade. If she did, I’m just thankful she’s still alive – the Knight could’ve killed her.”